Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Chris Ruegger <cr...@speakeasy.net> on 2002/08/06 20:54:52 UTC

Session creation

I'm trying to understand how/when Tomcat creates sessions. It like by default Tomcat
sends  a cookie back to the client with the jsessionid when first contacted. (However I'm
sending requests through Struts, not sure if the Struts main servlet creates a session).

I'd like the HttpSession to be null until I explicitly create it during the user's login.
Is there a way to configure session creation in Tomcat?

Re: Session creation

Posted by se...@verizon.net.
Struts is adding the session for you (I believe the ActionServlet).  I just
started using struts and noticed this as well.  I also seem to remember
reading that you can turn this off.

Perhaps someone else can help you with that ...

- sean

Re: Session creation

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Tue, 6 Aug 2002, Chris Ruegger wrote:

> Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 14:54:52 -0400
> From: Chris Ruegger <cr...@speakeasy.net>
> To: Tomcat Users List <to...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Session creation
>

> I'm trying to understand how/when Tomcat creates sessions. It like by default Tomcat
> sends  a cookie back to the client with the jsessionid when first contacted. (However I'm
> sending requests through Struts, not sure if the Struts main servlet creates a session).
>
> I'd like the HttpSession to be null until I explicitly create it during the user's login.
> Is there a way to configure session creation in Tomcat?

Tomcat never creates a session except when you are using form-based login.
All other sessions are there because your application requested them.
Note that JSP pages (unless you tell them not to with a <@ page
session="false" %> directive, will always ask for sessions to be created.

Craig