Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Jo Support <jo...@gmail.com> on 2009/01/19 09:32:57 UTC

Connections limit on Win client

Hi people,

I have to import 26.854 files for a total of 1,3 GB ~ from client to server.

With the following scenario

Server: CentOS 5 - svn 1.4.4
Client: WinXP - TortoiseSNV 1.5.3 or svn 1.5.2 CLI - Firewall OFF,
Antivirus OFF, OFF, OFF...

The client does NOT complete the import when it reaches ~4000
connections to the server, and everytime fails on a different
operation on different file (MKCOL, PROPPATCH, PUT, etc.), with the
error:
Could not connect to server

With the same server, but the following client

Client: Linux CentOS 5 - svn 1.1.4

The client DOES complete the import successfully.

I think it should be a problem of WinXP that doesn't support so many
parallel connections.
Did someone encoutered the same problem?
Any suggestion on what tune up if it's possible?

Thanks,
Jo

Re: Connections limit on Win client

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Jan 19, 2009, at 03:32, Jo Support wrote:

> I have to import 26.854 files for a total of 1,3 GB ~ from client
> to server.
>
> With the following scenario
>
> Server: CentOS 5 - svn 1.4.4
> Client: WinXP - TortoiseSNV 1.5.3 or svn 1.5.2 CLI - Firewall OFF,
> Antivirus OFF, OFF, OFF...
>
> The client does NOT complete the import when it reaches ~4000
> connections to the server, and everytime fails on a different
> operation on different file (MKCOL, PROPPATCH, PUT, etc.), with the
> error:
> Could not connect to server

I agree it's a problem that you're not able to complete this import.
However, consider working around the problem by importing fewer files
at a time, grouped in some meaningful way. There are long-term
performance penalties associated with importing that many files at
once. If you ever need to run "svn log", and the display includes
this revision in which you imported so many files, the log will take
a long time to display. (I forget if that's always, or only if you
use "svn log -v".) By breaking the import into several revisions you
lessen the impact of this issue.