Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Neeme Praks <ne...@apache.org> on 2003/10/29 19:26:55 UTC

framework javadocs disappeared?

In the recent regoranization of the site, framework API javadocs seem to
have dissappeared... at least I cannot find any link to them...
I tried the logical http://avalon.apache.org/product/framework/api/ but
that didn't work either.
Finally I tried http://avalon.apache.org/framework/api/ and that did the
trick... and then I tried also http://avalon.apache.org/framework/ and
that even included the Javadoc link... but there doesn't seem to be any
link to that page from the main page.... still work in progress? Also,
http://avalon.apache.org/framework/ seems to have link to jakarta site,
if you click on avalon logo at the top. should most probably be avalon site.

Also, http://avalon.apache.org/product/framework/index.html has some
inconsistency in it.

If I look at the menu on the left, I get a feeling that the site
structure is this:
* overview
* latest news
* community
* products
    * framework
    * containers
    * components
* documentation

However, if I look at the main content of the page in the center, I get
a feeling that the site structure is this:
* overview
* latest news
* community
* products
    * framework
       * framework - links back to the same page:
http://avalon.apache.org/framework/
       * meta - links to a top level page: http://avalon.apache.org/meta/
    * containers
    * components
* documentation

Meaning, that framework seems to contain one more framework sub-page
that is actually the same page (be careful, it's recursive). :-)
And meta seems to be also under framework, although if I look at the URL
it seems more like a peer to the framework page and if I click on the
meta link I get to an altogether independent page that has none of the
menu structure on the LHS that the main site has... and I cannot find
the javadoc API (if even I cannot find those docs then I guess newbies
have no hope of finding them) :-(

Any comments? I could go in and fix something, but I don't really
understand what is supposed to be there and what is broken.

Rgds,
Neeme

PS. http://avalon.apache.org/excalibur/component/index.html gives me 404.

Re: framework javadocs disappeared?

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
Neeme Praks wrote:
> BTW, is there some description somewhere on how to update the site in
> CVS?

there will be, soon :D

first we need to do do some testing and get a lot of stuff back in place.

- Leo

Re: framework javadocs disappeared?

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Neeme Praks wrote:

> Oh, and one more thing.
>
> Stephen McConnell wrote:
>
>>> Also, http://avalon.apache.org/framework/ seems to have link to
>>> jakarta site, if you click on avalon logo at the top. should most
>>> probably be avalon site.
>>

> This is still an issue.
> Go to http://avalon.apache.org/framework/ and click on the top-left
> Avalon logo... see where it takes you ;-)

Fixed. Problem also existed in the meta package. I've updated CVS and
the site.

> BTW, is there some description somewhere on how to update the site in
> CVS?

Nope - but here is brief description for the main avalon site:
Basically - checkout avalon-sandbox/mavenized-site

$ cd avalon-sandbox/mavenized-site
$ maven site

For the rest you need to check the README.TXT file in the repective
projects.
I guess the mavenized-site content will probably move to avalon-site/src
or something like that in the near future.

Steve.

> I would go in and fix it myself but I'm not sure anymore what and
> where to fix.
>
> Rgds,
> Neeme

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org

Re: framework javadocs disappeared?

Posted by Neeme Praks <ne...@apache.org>.
Oh, and one more thing.

Stephen McConnell wrote:

>> Also, http://avalon.apache.org/framework/ seems to have link to
>> jakarta site, if you click on avalon logo at the top. should most
>> probably be avalon site.

This is still an issue.
Go to http://avalon.apache.org/framework/ and click on the top-left
Avalon logo... see where it takes you ;-)

BTW, is there some description somewhere on how to update the site in
CVS? I would go in and fix it myself but I'm not sure anymore what and
where to fix.

Rgds,
Neeme

Re: framework javadocs disappeared?

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
Stephen McConnell wrote:
> I don't think there is anything to fix.

IMVHO,

we should have the framework link on the LHS and TRS direct immediately to

	/framework

and the content on that page should be updated to include a link to

	/meta

Leading to the following observation:

	framework = "core utilities" + "lifecycle contracts" +
           "meta"

However, "meta" came late to the party, hence is seperate, hence there
will be some ambiguity (unless someone goes through the trouble of
convincing everyone that meta should be avalon-framework-meta.jar).
Hence the "platform" idea.

We now have the worst of all worlds. In essence, the current view is that

	meta *is part of* framework

where we make this distinction:

	framework product = framework distribution + meta distribution

where the "product" and "distribution" are not tacked on for brevity,
leading to a view for the casual user of

	framework = framework + meta

which can be abbreviated to

	framework += meta

which is not the clearest of organisational structure. But then, I
didn't care enough at first to mention it :D

cheers,

- LSD

Re: framework javadocs disappeared?

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Neeme Praks wrote:

> Ok, now it's better already: products -> framework gets you to the
> page where you can choose between /framework and /meta... Not sure
> about the naming though... products -> framework -> framework doesn't
> look too obvious to me... dunno.

Take a look at the page - I've updated the product description so its a
little clearer what you click to.
http://avalon.apache.org/product/framework/
(you may need to refresh your browser)

Cheers, Steve.

Posted by Neeme Praks <ne...@apache.org>.
Ok, now it's better already: products -> framework gets you to the page
where you can choose between /framework and /meta... Not sure about the
naming though... products -> framework -> framework doesn't look too
obvious to me... dunno.

Thanks,
Neeme

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.