Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu> on 2006/04/21 21:54:17 UTC

Verbiage: Change "configuration" to "module"?

All,

How would you feel about referring to configurations (e.g. a group of
GBeans with own ID and classloader) as a "module" instead?  It seems
like "configuration" can be confusing, as it more traditionally refers
to a larger scope like an entire installation.  For example, if you
say you have two different WebLogic configurations or two different
Apache (HTTP) configurations, you're saying either you have two
installations, or you have two totally separate product configurations
available for the same product installation.  You're not saying you
have an app and a database pool within one runtime, but that's what
"two different configurations" presently would mean in relation to
Geronimo.

It seems like it would be clearer to say that a Geronimo installation
loads many modules, and each module includes many components (GBeans).

I'm not proposing that we go changing class names and stuff, but I'm
proposing that we make a concerted effort in our documentation and
presentations to present the name of the "unit with an ID and
classloader holding many components" as a "module".

What do you think?

Thanks,
    Aaron

Re: Verbiage: Change "configuration" to "module"?

Posted by Sachin Patel <sp...@gmail.com>.
+1

- sachin

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
+1

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
+1, module is better.

--jason

Posted by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.
+1
    It is easier to grasp -
   J2EE module : deployable unit with deployment descriptor
  geronimo module : serialized deployable unit created with a plan

--- Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com> wrote:

> +1 and I think I had a hand in calling them configurations
>
> I have found people very very confused (blank stares) when I start
> talking about configurations.
>
> One issue with this change is it should be reflected in the XML, and
>
> console.  This would mean renaming configId in the xml to moduleId,
> which should be a minor change.

    We will also have to do 'mar' instead of car.

Thnaks
Anita

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Verbiage: Change "configuration" to "module"?

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
On 4/21/06, Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu> wrote:
> All,
>
> How would you feel about referring to configurations (e.g. a group of
> GBeans with own ID and classloader) as a "module" instead?  It seems
> like "configuration" can be confusing, as it more traditionally refers
> to a larger scope like an entire installation.  For example, if you
> say you have two different WebLogic configurations or two different
> Apache (HTTP) configurations, you're saying either you have two
> installations, or you have two totally separate product configurations
> available for the same product installation.  You're not saying you
> have an app and a database pool within one runtime, but that's what
> "two different configurations" presently would mean in relation to
> Geronimo.
>
> It seems like it would be clearer to say that a Geronimo installation
> loads many modules, and each module includes many components (GBeans).
>
> I'm not proposing that we go changing class names and stuff, but I'm
> proposing that we make a concerted effort in our documentation and
> presentations to present the name of the "unit with an ID and
> classloader holding many components" as a "module".
>
> What do you think?

Yay! +1

Bruce
);'

Apache ActiveMQ - http://incubator.apache.org/activemq/
Apache ServiceMix - http://incubator.apache.org/servicemix/
Castor - http://castor.org/

Re: Verbiage: Change "configuration" to "module"?

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
There will always be maven "modules", more so as we move to m2 which
actually refers to sub-projects as modules.  No reason why we can't
reuse that term to describe g-specifics.

Once we've finished the initial m2 conversion, the modules directory
is likely to go away in favor of more descriptive and organized
source tree.  m2 is much more flexible (and powerful) in this respect
to allow modules to be organized into hierarchies.  The flat
"modules/" was mostly an artifact of using maven1.

--jason

Posted by Vamsavardhana Reddy <c1...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
Guys,

I agree that this needs to be addressed.  I'd like to appeal to everyone and ask that we focus on
getting 1.1 completed.  There are 84 outstanding JIRAs in 1.1 (I'm weeding tht down now) and we
still have a ways to go on CTS.  Before we change another thing in the server we need to have a
server to change.  At this point we are focusing on changing additional items in the server and
ignorning the issues in the current one.

I appreciate any help on getting 1.1 out and -1 on ALL changes that are not specifically fixing
known (broken) issues.  This is a feature (enhancement).  Not a bug fix.

Matt

Posted by John Sisson <jr...@gmail.com>.
+1 to "module".

John

Re: Triplesec JACC Provider

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks for the ping!  I'm also kinda buried but would love to get the
triplesec stuff working ASAP.  I'm subscribed to the directory list
now so should see when it gets imported.

thanks
david jencks

Triplesec JACC Provider

Re: where's JACC provider implementation?

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
My apologies for the extremely late response, this appears to have
been sent when my mail wasn't really working.  On the other hand in
April JACC wasn't pluggable and it is now :-) (almost completely, I
hope)

The default Geronimo JACC provider is in
org.apache.geronimo.security.jacc in the
GeronimoPolicyConfigurationFactory and PolicyConfigurationGeneric
classes.  I suspect we should move these into a different package to
make it clear they are the JACC provider rather than the
infrastructure geronimo provides.  If you want to configure the JACC
implementation with non-spec information from geronimo plans you will
also need to write a builder similar to the
o.a.g.security.deployment.GeronimoSecurityBuilderImpl that reads info
from its own xml namespace.   If the non-spec information is intended
to come from a different source (not geronimo plans) you won't need
one of these builders.

I recently set up a skeleton example of how a JACC provider could be
plugged in, http://www.nabble.com/TripleSec-Geronimo-integration-
tf2444664.html#a6815690

It would be great to get another working JACC implementation
installed, so if you have any questions how to proceed please ask!

thanks
david jencks

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@savoirtech.com>.
Look under the security module.

Re: build failure

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.
It means Maven was unable to download one of the dependency JARs.  You
can try manually downloading that one and placing it into your local
Maven repository, or just run the build (or that one module's build)
again and hope the download works the second time.

Thanks,
    Aaron

build failure

Re: building.txt steps

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.
I guess that's a bit out of date.

You should run "maven new" (or "maven -o new" if you have all the
dependencies downloaded already).

building.txt steps

Re: how to get the latest stable build?

Posted by argyn <ar...@cox.net>.
Jeff Genender wrote:

> All depends on the ibiblio speed when doing an online build.
>
> If you have all of the jars already downloaded and have done a recent
> online build, you can convert to an offline build.
>
> My offline build on my Powerbook G4 1.67Ghz 2G mem takes about 15-20
> minutes.
>
> You do an offline with the "-o" parameter...
>
> maven -o new
>
> argyn wrote:
>
>> Jeff Genender wrote:
>>
>>> m2 is not ready yet.  Do a:
>>>
>>> maven m:co
>>>
>>> then a
>>>
>>> maven new
>>>

>> how much time it takes to build clean on your machines? i was able to
>> build yesterday. today it's been more than 2 hours and still in
>> progress.
>>
>> thanks,
>> argyn

thank you for help.  i'll probably wait until it builds with "maven"
command, then try "-o" option in future.

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@savoirtech.com>.

Posted by argyn <ar...@cox.net>.

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.
m2 is not ready yet.  Do a: