Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by lu...@nitwit.de on 2004/02/04 14:39:13 UTC

[newbie] Hit quality rating

Hi!

Is there a hit quality rating in Lucene or are there only hits and non-hits?

Timo

Re: [newbie] Hit quality rating

Posted by Eric Jain <Er...@isb-sib.ch>.
> But in the latest CVS (unreleased, must build it yourself) version of
> Lucene, a very slick contribution has been added to sort by an integer
> field.  Other datatypes are in the works.

Excellent!

I imagine support for 'long' fields won't be long off. (Stupid pun...)

Do you already know if there is any significant impact on performance
(positive or negative) when using a field rather than the score for
sorting?

--
Eric Jain

Re: [newbie] Hit quality rating

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On Feb 4, 2004, at 9:07 AM, lucene@nitwit.de wrote:
> On Wednesday 04 February 2004 14:48, Otis Gospodnetic wrote:
>> There is score.
>
> Oops, you are right Hits.score(). But it seems I have to implement a
> sorting
> iterator on my own :-\

Well, the original design is to have hits sorted by score.... you want
the most relevant first.  Sorting defeats the purpose of a score in
many respects.

But in the latest CVS (unreleased, must build it yourself) version of
Lucene, a very slick contribution has been added to sort by an integer
field.  Other datatypes are in the works.

	Erik

Re: [newbie] Hit quality rating

Posted by lu...@nitwit.de.

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.