Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2012/12/07 15:54:13 UTC

Google Communities

Something new from Google:
http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2012/12/google-communities-and-photos.html

As you probably know we already have a Google+ Page:
https://plus.google.com/+openoffice

A Google+ Page is primarily a one-to-many broadcast tool, like a Blog
or a Twitter account or a Facebook page.  There is also opportunity
for users to respond back and comment on our posts, or share or
forward our posts, but it is centered on what we post.  These accounts
are our voice as project.

In addition to these accounts, there are more community-oriented
accounts.  For example, Facebook has a concept of a "Facebook Group".
This is more of a discussion forum, with members having an equal voice
on topics of discussion.  We have a Facebook Group for OpenOffice that
Raphael has been moderating:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/338330086179568/.

With the announcement of Google Communities, Google has created an
analog of Facebook Groups.  We now have the opportunity to have that
kind of discussion forum experience on Google+.

I've reserved a Google+ Community with the name "Apache OpenOffice.
We should decide what we want to do with it.

1) One view is that we should concentrate on a small number of social
networking platforms and require users to come to us if they want to
engage with us.

2) Another view is that we should fully engage with every new platform
that comes along and be liberal in the platforms we engage with.

3) Another view is that we should preserve the option of participating
in all platforms, experiment with new ones, see what works, and
concentrate on the platforms that are most effective.

Personally, I'm an advocate of approach #3.  We cannot predict what
"the next big thing" will be, so it is worth experimenting with new
approaches.

So if there are no objections, I'll continue preparing the Google+
Community for Apache OpenOffice and create an announcement.  I could
use help, of course.  So if anyone wants to be a co-moderator, send me
your Google ID.  It helps if you already have some experience with
Google+.

Regards,

-Rob

Re: Google Communities

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 11:59 AM, Chad Jackson <cj...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/7/12 8:36 AM, Tristan Hales wrote:
>>
>> Hello Rob,
>> I would like to see Google+ over Facebook just because I'm a Google fan.
>> I'm a total beginner with it so no help here. I have added Apache
>> OpenOffice  to my circles. Thank you for the awesome job you are doing.
>>
>> Tristan Hales, Asst. Office Manager
>> The Nature Place
>> 719.748.3475
>>

>> On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 7:54 AM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Something new from Google:
>>> http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2012/12/google-communities-and-photos.html
>>>
>>> As you probably know we already have a Google+ Page:
>>> https://plus.google.com/+openoffice
>>>
>>> A Google+ Page is primarily a one-to-many broadcast tool, like a Blog
>>> or a Twitter account or a Facebook page.  There is also opportunity
>>> for users to respond back and comment on our posts, or share or
>>> forward our posts, but it is centered on what we post.  These accounts
>>> are our voice as project.
>>>
>>> In addition to these accounts, there are more community-oriented
>>> accounts.  For example, Facebook has a concept of a "Facebook Group".
>>> This is more of a discussion forum, with members having an equal voice
>>> on topics of discussion.  We have a Facebook Group for OpenOffice that
>>> Raphael has been moderating:
>>> https://www.facebook.com/groups/338330086179568/.
>>>
>>> With the announcement of Google Communities, Google has created an
>>> analog of Facebook Groups.  We now have the opportunity to have that
>>> kind of discussion forum experience on Google+.
>>>
>>> I've reserved a Google+ Community with the name "Apache OpenOffice.
>>> We should decide what we want to do with it.
>>>
>>> 1) One view is that we should concentrate on a small number of social
>>> networking platforms and require users to come to us if they want to
>>> engage with us.
>>>
>>> 2) Another view is that we should fully engage with every new platform
>>> that comes along and be liberal in the platforms we engage with.
>>>
>>> 3) Another view is that we should preserve the option of participating
>>> in all platforms, experiment with new ones, see what works, and
>>> concentrate on the platforms that are most effective.
>>>
>>> Personally, I'm an advocate of approach #3.  We cannot predict what
>>> "the next big thing" will be, so it is worth experimenting with new
>>> approaches.
>>>
>>> So if there are no objections, I'll continue preparing the Google+
>>> Community for Apache OpenOffice and create an announcement.  I could
>>> use help, of course.  So if anyone wants to be a co-moderator, send me
>>> your Google ID.  It helps if you already have some experience with
>>> Google+.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> -Rob
>>>
> Rob,
>
> I am already on Google+ and feel comfortable with the platform. I might be
> able to help out with the new Community. Look me up and feel free to add me;
> my id is cjackson951@gmail.com.

OK.  I've made you a moderator.  But nothing much to moderate yet.

-Rob

Re: Google Communities

Posted by Chad Jackson <cj...@gmail.com>.

Re: Google Communities

Posted by Chad Jackson <cj...@gmail.com>.
On 12/7/12 9:00 AM, James Grenier wrote:
> I'd concur on option 3.
>
> Google +'s hangout feature is useful for when synchronous communication is needed. Hangout webinars can also be recorded (internally, I think, but if not, with Camtasia or similar screen capture tools) and shared with members later.
>
> We're doing some of this with a mini-grant funded project on Flipped Classrooms this year. All the rage.
>
> I wonder: is there an open source analog to Camtasia? Does anyone know?
>
> http://www.techsmith.com/camtasia.html
>
> J. M. Grenier, M.Ed.
> Faculty, Business and Humanities
> grenierj@middlesex.mass.edu

I would also concur with option 3. The low barriers to entry on any
social media platform makes it easy to remain platform neutral. There is
no reason to not participate in new platforms and judge success rates as
we go.

James - actually, I have been using the Hangout feature as part of a
project for my local political work. It integrates nicely with YouTube
for later 'rebroadcasts'.

Chad

RE: Google Communities

Re: Google Communities