Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org> on 2015/01/25 14:08:28 UTC

Podling Name Searches

All,

If a podling had its name and codebase donated from a company, which had
already secured rights to the name, what is required in the podling name
search?

John

Re: Podling Name Searches

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
Yes, you still need to do a podling name search.  Hopefully that will
show that the existing name is already good to start with and doesn't
conflict with other, pre-existing similar software products.

If the community intends to keep the name, we need a clear donation of
the trademark itself from the current holder.  Ask on trademarks@ once
you are ready to start.  Registered trademarks can be transferred with a
pretty basic legal document that Apache counsel can provide if needed;
the existing owner merely needs to sign, we do the rest of the legal
transfer for a registration.

- Shane

Re: Podling Name Searches

Posted by Rob Vesse <rv...@dotnetrdf.org>.