Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> on 2017/10/10 09:25:19 UTC

[release] adding a DEPENDENCIES file? (was: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans HTML/Java API version 1.5)

On Sun, Oct 8, 2017 at 1:41 PM, Jaroslav Tulach
<ja...@oracle.com> wrote:
> ...the build seems to deliver releasable ZIP file:
> https://builds.apache.org/view/Incubator%20Projects/job/incubator-netbeans-html4j-release/16/artifact/incubating-netbeans-html4j-1.5.zip
> It's md5sum is a45bda33200c208d0d837b0746a7dcce. ...

Although the release has other problems (discussed in the VOTE
threads) I had a look at its contents and I think it would be useful
to add a DEPENDENCIES file.

The goal is to list the licenses of third-party dependencies which are
not included in the release but required to build or use it. As per
[1] Apache products cannot "rely on components under prohibited
licenses" which DEPENDENCIES helps check.

For a Maven build this is easy to generate using the
maven-remote-resources-plugin with the Apache Resource Bundles
described at [2].

BTW, the Apache Parent Pom (https://maven.apache.org/pom/asf/)
provides a number of such preconfigured things, dunno if NetBeans uses
it already.

-Bertrand

[1] https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html

[2] https://maven.apache.org/apache-resource-bundles/  - the following
pom addition works for me for that org.netbeans.html module:

   <plugin>
       <artifactId>maven-remote-resources-plugin</artifactId>
       <version>1.4</version>
       <executions>
         <execution>
           <goals>
             <goal>process</goal>
           </goals>
           <configuration>
             <resourceBundles>
               <!-- Will generate META-INF/DEPENDENCIES
META-INF/LICENSE META-INF/NOTICE -->
               <resourceBundle>org.apache:apache-jar-resource-bundle:1.4</resourceBundle>
               <!-- Will generate META-INF/DISCLAIMER  -->
               <resourceBundle>org.apache:apache-incubator-disclaimer-resource-bundle:1.1</resourceBundle>
             </resourceBundles>
           </configuration>
         </execution>
       </executions>