Posted to users@rave.apache.org by Stanton Sievers <si...@gmail.com> on 2012/07/29 18:38:53 UTC

Re: Please point out any caveats before I begin

I don't think there are any major roadblocks you would hit with Shindig.
However, I think Rave may be the better tool to use - it's backed by
Shindig under the covers anyway.

I've cc'd the rave use group as well to get their opinion on your specific
questions.

Best regards,
-Stanton

Posted by any bloke <n....@gmail.com>.
Thanks a lot for your replies Stanton and Mathew.

> Anything OpenSocial compliant should run without issue in Rave or Shindig.

Do you know if the Google gadgets spec is perfectly compliant with the
OpenSocial spec?

> We haven't come across many in the iGoogle store that have not worked.

But you have come across some? If possible, could you list an example
or two off the top of your head and/or mention the reason, if you
know, why they did not work?

> Download the software and play around with it :).   Rave has bundled tomcat binaries that include the Rave, Shindig & Wookie wars.   That is a good way to get your feet wet.

I will do that. Thanks. But just a quick question while I'm replying,
what is "Wookie wars"? Google wasn't providing me any quick answers

Thanks again for your time!

RE: testThreadWithSharedKeys failed

Posted by "Carlucci, Tony" <ac...@mitre.org>.
Hello Hans,

I've seen this exact issue on occasion, and every time I've experienced it there was a rogue java process still running related to Rave (like Cargo didn't shut down properly).   Manually kill any running java processes and try running the mvn install again, it should hopefully work ok for you.

Tony

Posted by "Franklin, Matthew B." <mf...@mitre.org>.
Interesting issue.  I wonder if we are hitting this bug
http://bugs.sun.com/view_bug.do?bug_id=5091934.  The intent of the test is
to make sure all 10 threads execute serially.  Since thread.sleep is not
guaranteed to be exact on Windows, we need to change the test expectation.
 Dropping it to 1240 might work for that.

Any other thoughts?

Posted by "Lasschuit, JIJ (Hans)" <ha...@zuyd.nl>.
Hi everybody,

Posted by any bloke <n....@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Franklin, Matthew B." <mf...@mitre.org>.
Thanks Stanton.

I agree that Rave is probably an easier starting place for what you are wanting to accomplish.  Many of the original codebases that were the pre-cursors to Rave were built to provide iGoogle like functionality to their users.  As Stanton points out, Rave uses Shindig to render OpenSocial (Google) Gadgets and provides features for managing those gadgets in pages.  I have included direct answers to your questions inline.

Anything OpenSocial compliant should run without issue in Rave or Shindig.  We haven't come across many in the iGoogle store that have not worked.

>>   * Do you know of any category or type of gadgets that will not?
>> (Excluding those that depend on secured Google services, like Gmail)

The Gmail one used to not work due to a proprietary authentication system.  OpenSocial fully supports OAuth 1.0a (1 & 2 legged) and OAuth 2.0 (authorization code); which means that any service that supports OAuth should be easily accessed via  a gadget.

>>   * Do you know of any problems that will prevent me from implementing
>> an iGoogle like experience for my users?

As with any implementation, you will face challenges; but, nothing that is a blocker IMO.

>>   * Do you have any other warnings or advice I should consider before
>> beginning?

Download the software and play around with it :).   Rave has bundled tomcat binaries that include the Rave, Shindig & Wookie wars.   That is a good way to get your feet wet.

>> I understand that Shindig is about more than gadgets, which will be of
>> great additional benefit down the line, but at this time I can only
>> justify this project as a means to the end goal of hosting gadgets for
>> my website users.
>>
>> If this goal is workable in the short term, I hope that I will be
>> capable of giving back to the community in the medium to long term
>> with submissions to the code base. I will be new to open source
>> development, but I look forward to a chance to finally get involved.

Like all Apache project, Rave & Shindig appreciate patches, contributions to discussions and submission of issues.  Let us know how it goes and don't be afraid to ask questions.

RE: Please point out any caveats before I begin

Posted by "Franklin, Matthew B." <mf...@mitre.org>.
Thanks Stanton.