Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Pablo Casado <pc...@absamail.co.za> on 2003/01/22 08:32:18 UTC

compiling 1.1 beta 3 problems

Hi,

I'm attempting to create an enhancement patch to the 1.1 beta 3 source but I have the following problems compiling the source which I downloaded as a tar.gz file from the site.

1. The package org.apache.struts.tiles.definitions is missing from the tar gz which prevents me from compiling the tiles package. Is there a procedure to get a new tar gz file that contains what is needed to build?

2. The ActionServlet class calls the release method from the commons logging LogFactory class which takes a String as a paramater. This method is only available in that projects cvs head. It is not avaialble in any of the release or milestone source drops. What version of commons logging should I be using?

- Pablo.

---

Re: compiling 1.1 beta 3 problems

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003, Graham Leggett wrote:

> Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 07:50:15 +0200
> From: Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>
> To: Struts Developers List <st...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Re: compiling 1.1 beta 3 problems
>
> Robert Leland wrote:
>
> >> What version of commons logging should I be using?
> >

> > Download the latest nightly binary build and use those jars
> > to build your patch against.
>
> With Struts v1.1b3 being declared RC1, why does a release candidate have
> a dependancy on another project's nightly build?

For the 752nd time in the last three weeks :-), Struts 1.1 final will
*only* include final versions of the corresponding commons libraries.
But, if you think that actually makes any difference, you're not
understanding the way that open source works.

What it means, in real life, is that we just need to go through the
release process on the commons libraries (like beanutils just did to 1.6).
If you think there is *really* any substantive difference between a
nightly build of these packages and a "released" version, you might want
to go see what really happens when a commons package is released ... the
only substantive effect is that the CVS repositories have a new tag.  The
code is going to be exactly what you see in 1.1b3, plus any bug fixes
between then and the final release of that package.

The difference between "beta" and "release candidate" is pretty much
*meaningless* in terms of code quality, or anything else -- the purpose is
to get people to actually test their apps against the current 1.1
software.  It would be really tragic to release 1.1 final and suddenly get
a whole bunch of bug reports from people who refused to even try their
apps against it, because it was "only" a beta.

And, although I'll happily fix their bugs (and do a 1.1.x maintenance
release if necessary), I'm going to have a hard time feeling sorry for
such folks ... it's not my fault when people are unwilling to test a new
version and help us uncover any remaining bugs.

> Regards,
> Graham

Craig

Re: compiling 1.1 beta 3 problems

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.

Posted by Robert Leland <rl...@apache.org>.
Pablo Casado wrote:
> Hi,
> What version of commons logging should I be using?

Download the latest nightly binary build and use those jars
to build your patch against.

-Rob