Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by Tifaine RIVOIRE OPTI Sécurité <t....@optisecurite.fr> on 2023/06/14 12:26:39 UTC

Guacamole Extensions troubles

Hi,

I'm testing Guacamole and I want to configure some extensions.
I already set up guacamole with docker-compose and TOTP Extension.

I have some troubles with the LDAP extension. In fact, I follow a lot of tutorials that show me how I can set up this one.
I copy the .jar file in extension directory but after a restart I can't log in with an AD user. I'va seen that a new directory called ldap was created (just like totp) with .jar & .ldif file.
I also try to create a user with same AD name and blank password in guacamole, I make sure to select create connection permission.

When I connect, Guacamole tell me wrong password but this is the correct one in my AD.
I also see some forwarded communications (through firewall) from my Guacamole server to my AD.

Can you help me to understand why I can't log with an AD account ?

Here is a part of my docker-compose file :

 # guacamole
  guacamole:
    container_name: guacamole_compose
    depends_on:
    - guacd
    - postgres
    environment:
      ACCEPT_EULA: "Y"
      EXTENSIONS: auth-ldap,auth-totp
      GUACD_HOSTNAME: guacd
      POSTGRES_DATABASE: guacamole_db
      POSTGRES_HOSTNAME: postgres
      POSTGRES_PASSWORD: password
      POSTGRES_USER: guacamole_user
      TOTP_ENABLED: 'true'
      LDAP_ENABLED: 'true'

      # LDAP Connection
      LDAP_HOSTNAME: 192.168.87.20
      LDAP_PORT: 389
      LDAP_ENCRYPTION_METHOD: "none"

      # Mapping Guacamole usernames to LDAP DN's
      LDAP_USER_BASE_DN: "dc=AMG,dc=LAN"

      # Indirect Username Mapping
      LDAP_SEARCH_BIND_DN: "CN=admin,CN=Users,DC=AMG,DC=lan"
      LDAP_SEARCH_BIND_PASSWORD: "password"

      # Mapping Guacamole groups to LDAP DN's
      LDAP_USERNAME_ATTRIBUTE: "uid"
      LDAP_USER_SEARCH_FILTER: "(&(objectClass=user)(memberOf:1.2.840.113556.1.4.1941:=CN=Utilisateurs,DC=AMG,DC=LAN))"
      LDAP_GROUP_BASE_DN: "dc=AMG,dc=LAN"
      LDAP_GROUP_NAME_ATTRIBUTE: "cn"

    image: guacamole/guacamole
    links:
    - guacd
    networks:
      guacnetwork_compose:
    ports:
    - 8080:8080/tcp
    restart: always
    privileged: true
    volumes:
      - NAS:/opt/guacamole/NAS

Cordialement,
T. RIVOIRE

Re: Guacamole Extensions troubles

Posted by Vincent Sherwood <vi...@itsolutions.ie>.
Take a look at your /var/log/messages (or equivalent for non-red-hat clones)

You probably have errors like

Jun 29 14:03:01 apps9 server[23692]: org.apache.guacamole.GuacamoleServerException: ""none"" is not a valid value for property "ldap-encryption-method". Valid values are: "none", "ssl", "starttls"

Jun 29 14:04:56 apps9 server[23765]: org.apache.guacamole.GuacamoleServerException: The DN ""dc=company,dc=country"" is invalid.

Try removing the quotes around the values in the

ldap-encryption-method:
ldap-user-base-dn:

fields. Our setup does not have them, and it authenticates correctly.  If I add the quotes around them in the config file I generate the errors above.

By the way, we also do use a user group filter which works correctly to limit the users who can login without causing any problems

ldap-user-search-filter: (memberOf=cn=GuacamoleUsers,cn=Users,dc=company,dc=country)

________________________________
Posted by Joachim Lindenberg <gu...@lindenberg.one>.
Imho you have a big issue already with authentication using no encryption at all.

Best Regards,

Joachim

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.

> 08:29:44.881 [http-nio-8080-exec-2] INFO  o.a.g.a.l.AuthenticationProviderService - Unable to determine DN of user "l.coelho" using LDAP server "192.168.87.20". Proceeding with next server...

The LDAP search has failed to locate this user account, which is why
authentication is failing.

>  # LDAP Connection
>
>       LDAP_HOSTNAME: 192.168.87.20
>
>       LDAP_PORT: 389
>
>       LDAP_ENCRYPTION_METHOD: "none"
>

>       # Mapping Guacamole usernames to LDAP DN’s
>
>       LDAP_USER_BASE_DN: "dc=AMG,dc=LAN"
>

>       # Indirect Username Mapping
>
>       LDAP_SEARCH_BIND_DN: CN=admin,CN=Users,DC=AMG,DC=lan
>
>       LDAP_SEARCH_BIND_PASSWORD: password
>
>       LDAP-USERNAME-ATTRIBUTE: sAMAccountName

I'm not sure if this is exactly how it's configured in your file, or
if this is from copying/pasting into an e-mail, but
"LDAP-USERNAME-ATTRIBUTE" should be "LDAP_USERNAME_ATTRIBUTE" - it
looks like you switched from underscores to dashes?

If you still have trouble, you may want to bump up the log level
(LOGBACK_LEVEL) and see what is actually happening in the LDAP
conversation. Note that you will get a _LOT_ of log messages - the
LDAP debugging is very verbose, and you'll probably want to change the
level, try logging in once, and then change it back, else you'll end
up with unmanageable levels of logs.

-Nick

RE: Guacamole Extensions troubles

Posted by Luciano Oliveira <ol...@outlook.com>.
Hi,

Make sure that the user "admin" has read access to the OU=AMG and OU=Utilisateur.

Best regards,

Luciano de Oliveira
Técnico em Telecomunicações - CFT
Infraestrutura de Redes e Servidores
Certificado em Cabeamento Estruturado NEXANS

________________________________

Posted by Michael Jumper <mj...@apache.org>.
On 6/14/23 05:45, Nick Couchman wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 14, 2023 at 8:26 AM Tifaine RIVOIRE OPTI Sécurité
> <t.rivoire@optisecurite.fr <ma...@optisecurite.fr>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,____
>
>     __ __
>
>     I’m testing Guacamole and I want to configure some extensions.
>     I already set up guacamole with docker-compose and TOTP Extension.____
>
>     __ __
>
>     I have some troubles with the LDAP extension. In fact, I follow a
>     lot of tutorials that show me how I can set up this one.____
>
>     I copy the .jar file in extension directory but after a restart I
>     can’t log in with an AD user. I’va seen that a new directory called
>     ldap was created (just like totp) with .jar & .ldif file.
>     I also try to create a user with same AD name and blank password in
>     guacamole, I make sure to select create connection permission.____
>

>     When I connect, Guacamole tell me wrong password but this is the
>     correct one in my AD.
>     I also see some forwarded communications (through firewall) from my
>     Guacamole server to my AD.____
>
>     __ __
>
>     Can you help me to understand why I can’t log with an AD account ?
>

> You'll need to take a look at the logs for the Guacamole Client
> container and see what errors might be logged to the container. You may
> also have to change the log level of Guacamole Client (LOGBACK_LEVEL
> environment variable) to get more useful information out of the system.
>
> I do notice in the Docker Compose file you posted that you appear to be
> using a search filter that is supposed to make LDAP search nested AD
> groups. I'm not sure that this will actually work - I think there are
> some things that need to be implemented within Guacamole to support
> this, and I don't think those currently exist. You might, at the very
> least, try changing your search filter to something else - just create a
> single group with the users you want to have access and search that
> group, only - and see if that helps.

Using a recursive group membership query like this within the search
filter should be fine. Active Directory will service such queries a bit
slower, but it will work and will limit both the users visible in the
admin UI and the users that can log in.

Guacamole itself will not perform recursive queries to determine group
memberships from LDAP, so you will not be able to use recursive
memberships to grant permissions, but you can definitely do this within
the search filters.

- Mike

Re: Guacamole Extensions troubles

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.