Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Lars Nielsen Lind <mo...@worldonline.dk> on 2003/08/12 18:14:03 UTC

How to install Apache / Tomcat non-root

Hi.

I want to install Apache and Jakarta-Tomcat as non-root user (they will
use the same user account). Is this possible and what is the best way do
this?

/Lars Nielsen Lind

Re: How to install Apache / Tomcat non-root

Posted by John Turner <to...@johnturner.com>.
Whichever user account you are using at the time you extract the Tomcat
binaries will be the owner of the Tomcat directory tree.

You have to install Apache as root since it binds to port 80.  You
define the unprivileged user in httpd.conf.

As far as not using su, just login as the web server user and start the
scripts, you only need to use su if you're logged in as root.

John

Posted by John Turner <to...@johnturner.com>.

Posted by Lars Nielsen Lind <mo...@worldonline.dk>.

Posted by Lars Nielsen Lind <mo...@worldonline.dk>.