Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by GLG <in...@3dnetproductions.com> on 2015/05/02 01:11:37 UTC

RE: mod_perl and apache 2.4

Thanks André. Your info was useful.  I can't say that I solved this yet, but
I did find something strange.

But first, I no longer think there's an issue with libtool. It looks like
there's a fix running.

Secondly, I had to 'pkg install p5-BSD-Resource' dependency manually,
because the automatic installation by mod_perl2 didn't work.

And third, Can't really do 'make test' either because it has to run as a
priviledged user, and then Apache wants a non-priviledged user for the test
suite. Can't have both. So no dice.

But see below for where the real problem seems to be:

Short version:

Notice how gmake is installing mod_perl in ../ ../mach/5.18/ <--- correct
              but later tries to read from ../ ../5.18/mach/ <--- incorrect

Something is backward??? What is the right way to resolve this? I have been
at it way too long. Thanks,

Longer version:

[root@xxxxx /usr/ports/www/mod_perl2]# make install clean
===>  Staging for ap22-mod_perl2-2.0.8_2,3
===>   ap22-mod_perl2-2.0.8_2,3 depends on package: p5-BSD-Resource>=0 -
found
===>   ap22-mod_perl2-2.0.8_2,3 depends on file: /usr/local/sbin/apxs -
found
===>   ap22-mod_perl2-2.0.8_2,3 depends on file: /usr/local/bin/perl5.18.4 -
found
===>   Generating temporary packing list
gmake[1]: Entering directory '/usr/ports/www/mod_perl2/work/mod_perl-2.0.8'

... more stuff here

Installing
/usr/ports/www/mod_perl2/work/stage/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/mach/5.18/

... more of the same here

     find:
/usr/ports/www/mod_perl2/work/stage/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.18/mach/
auto: No such file or directory
====> Compressing man pages (compress-man)
===>  Installing for ap22-mod_perl2-2.0.8_2,3
===>  Checking if ap22-mod_perl2 already installed
===>   Registering installation for ap22-mod_perl2-2.0.8_2,3
pkg-static: Unable to access file
/usr/ports/www/mod_perl2/work/stage/usr/local/===>
ap24-mod_perl2-2.0.8_2,3 depends on package: p5-BSD-Resource>=0 - not found:
No such file or directory
pkg-static: Unable to access file
/usr/ports/www/mod_perl2/work/stage/usr/local/===>    Verifying install for
p5-BSD-Resource>=0 in /usr/ports/devel/p5-BSD-Resource: No such file or
directory
pkg-static: Unable to access file
/usr/ports/www/mod_perl2/work/stage/usr/local/===>  Installing for
p5-BSD-Resource-1.2907: No such file or directory

... more of the same here

Re: mod_perl and apache 2.4

Posted by Michael Schout <ms...@gkg.net>.
On 5/8/15 7:55 PM, GLG wrote:
> It doesn't matter how I install mod_perl (dynamic or static. Also tried via
> Webmin), the end result is always the same. This on FreeBSD 10.1
> httpd: Syntax error on line 107 of /usr/local/etc/apache22/httpd.conf:
> Cannot load /usr/local/libexec/apache22/mod_perl.so into server:
> /usr/local/libexec/apache22/mod_perl.so: Undefined symbol
> "modperl_io_perlio_restore_stdout"
> -------------------------------------

I know this is old, but I'm going to reply because I ran into this a
while back (and solved it).  Hopefully I can help others.

This problem has to do with the fact that FreeBSD uses clang to compile
mod_perl, and clang handles C99 inline functions differently from gcc's
default mode (which is C89 for GCC < 5.0).  You'll run into this exact
same problem everywhere clang is used (e.g.: OS X).

The short answer is you have two choices:

1) compile with gcc
or
2) patch src/modules/perl/modperl_common_util.h and make sure APR_INLINE
is not defined before compiling.

See the ports Makefile in www/mod_perl2 under the post-patch rule for
how the ports tree handles this (unset APR_INLINE)

I realize this may be too late to help you, but hopefully this will help
someone else down the line.

See: http://clang.llvm.org/compatibility.html#inline

Regards,
Michael Schout

RE: mod_perl and apache 2.4

Posted by Jie Gao <j....@sydney.edu.au>.
If it's a permissions issue, you probably already know what to do. -Jie
Posted by GLG <in...@3dnetproductions.com>.
SOLVED. I messed around with Poudriere, but it kept insisting that I
re-instal Apache24 over Apache22 (completely ignoring make.conf or command
line parameters), which I'd previously learned doesn't work with mod_perl2.
I even tried to lock Apache22, but it just would not create a package with
that version. What a dilemma.

Then I was lucky enough to discover a mod_perl2 development snapshot package
that also insisted on re-installing Apache24, but it was worth a try at this
point, and it worked perfectly (ap24-mod_perl2-2.0.8_4,3). Thanks everyone.

> You've now got help from Randal! So you know this is really mod_perl list.
:-)

Well put!

Re: mod_perl and apache 2.4

Posted by Vincent Veyron <vv...@wanadoo.fr>.

Re: mod_perl and apache 2.4

Posted by Jie Gao <J....@sydney.edu.au>.
Hi GLG

You've now got help from Randal! So you know this is really mod_perl list. :-)

Regards,

Jie

Re: mod_perl and apache 2.4

Posted by "Randal L. Schwartz" <me...@stonehenge.com>.

RE: mod_perl and apache 2.4

------------------------------------

RE: mod_perl and apache 2.4

RE: mod_perl and apache 2.4

Posted by GLG <in...@3dnetproductions.com>.
Well, it does in version 2.0.8. They are functions you can see clearly in
'modperl_io.h' and 'modperl_io.c'.

But I wasn't exactly planning on learning the intricacies of mod_perl so I
can try fixing this for myself. Rather, I was really hoping of getting some
help from someone who would know first-hand how to deal with it. Better yet
get an upgrade, but I am seriously running out of time. Several websites I
manage are depending on this to work, as I am forced to switch servers.

RE: mod_perl and apache 2.4

Posted by Jie Gao <j....@sydney.edu.au>.

RE: mod_perl and apache 2.4