Posted to jetspeed-dev@portals.apache.org by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com> on 2007/08/10 03:18:33 UTC

Re: Further Jetspeed-2 development plans

Ate,

Thanks. This is a great foundation for a plan for version 2.2. It
doesn't include all the features I'd like to see on the Roadmap, but
I think we need to address the issues listed below first as they are
by far the most important.
I will list my name for task that I feel I can contribute in inline,
as well as add Edgar's and DJ's names to the areas they have shown
interest in
 From this thread we can eventually build a Roadmap (and publish it
on the website)

On Jul 16, 2007, at 8:05 AM, Ate Douma wrote:

> Dear community,
>
> With finally the release for Jetspeed-2.1.2 behind us, the time has
> come to think of and start some large scale enhancements and changes.
>
> Some of the biggest improvements and features on my wish list, and
> for which I already know others have interest in too, are:
> - moving from our maven-1 and maven-2 hybrid build environment to
> *one*, clean maven-2 build environment

I can help here. In fact I  believe this is the first area we where
should address as a team, including moving all applications out of
the Jetspeed build.

(Ate, David, DJ)

> - align with the latest Pluto 1.1.x container (and possibly even
> the near 1.2.x version)
> - start working on full JSR-286 Portlet API 2.0 support (which
> requires aligning with at least the Pluto 1.2.x version)

I think the two subjects above go together and that we all need to
discuss it for a while here...
This is an area that will effect many components, especially the
Jetspeed API and registry

> - review and redesign our portal security model and implementation
> - multiple authentication/authorization schemas to support truly
> separated access & maintenance of "communities" in one portal

(David: model)
I would like to rework the security model to support realms and also
normalize some of the tables such as principals

(DJ: JACC)

> - review and redesign our portlet preferences model and
> implementation (Java preferences)

> - design and implement a new decorator model and api to allow much
> easier and cleaner definition of layout and portlet decorations

(Edgar)
(David) I'd be glad to help here

> - possibly a JCR based portal registry and page/site management

(Edgar)
(David) I'd be glad to help here

> - better support for and possible even out-of-the-box integration
> with Geronimo/Glassfish/Jetty/JBoss/Websphere/WebLogic

(DJ: Geronimo)

> - Jetspeed "light" (no need for database persistence and much
> simplified page/site management)

a Jetspeed lite configuration will be a lot easier to create once we
simplify the build

Re: Further Jetspeed-2 development plans

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
David Sean Taylor wrote:
> Ate,
>
> Thanks. This is a great foundation for a plan for version 2.2. It
> doesn't include all the features I'd like to see on the Roadmap, but I
> think we need to address the issues listed below first as they are by
> far the most important.
> I will list my name for task that I feel I can contribute in inline, as
> well as add Edgar's and DJ's names to the areas they have shown interest in
>  From this thread we can eventually build a Roadmap (and publish it on
> the website)
>
> On Jul 16, 2007, at 8:05 AM, Ate Douma wrote:
>
>> Dear community,
>>
>> With finally the release for Jetspeed-2.1.2 behind us, the time has
>> come to think of and start some large scale enhancements and changes.
>>
>> Some of the biggest improvements and features on my wish list, and for
>> which I already know others have interest in too, are:
>> - moving from our maven-1 and maven-2 hybrid build environment to
>> *one*, clean maven-2 build environment
>
> I can help here. In fact I  believe this is the first area we where
> should address as a team, including moving all applications out of the
> Jetspeed build.
>
> (Ate, David, DJ)
Mohan also offered to help out.

>> - align with the latest Pluto 1.1.x container (and possibly even the
>> near 1.2.x version)
>> - start working on full JSR-286 Portlet API 2.0 support (which
>> requires aligning with at least the Pluto 1.2.x version)
>
> I think the two subjects above go together and that we all need to
> discuss it for a while here...
Craig Doremus just created a new Pluto branch, 1.1-286-trunk-merge, merging current Pluto trunk with the JSR-286 branch.

> This is an area that will effect many components, especially the
> Jetspeed API and registry
Definitely. Possibly with some backwards compatible breaking changes.
We need to be very careful here.

>> - review and redesign our portal security model and implementation
>> - multiple authentication/authorization schemas to support truly
>> separated access & maintenance of "communities" in one portal
>
> (David: model)
> I would like to rework the security model to support realms and also
> normalize some of the tables such as principals
>
> (DJ: JACC)
>
>> - review and redesign our portlet preferences model and implementation
>> (Java preferences)
I'll sign up for this one. I probably is going to be related to the above security model changes too, as those are also stored in a similar hierarchical
structure as the preferences.
(Ate)

>> - design and implement a new decorator model and api to allow much
>> easier and cleaner definition of layout and portlet decorations
>
> (Edgar)
> (David) I'd be glad to help here
>
>> - possibly a JCR based portal registry and page/site management
>
> (Edgar)
> (David) I'd be glad to help here
(Ate) I'd like to help out here too.

>> - better support for and possible even out-of-the-box integration with
>> Geronimo/Glassfish/Jetty/JBoss/Websphere/WebLogic
>
> (DJ: Geronimo)
>
>> - Jetspeed "light" (no need for database persistence and much
>> simplified page/site management)
>>

> a Jetspeed lite configuration will be a lot easier to create once we
> simplify the build
Agreed. And I think we also need to be aligned with the latest Pluto again first before we should dive into this one.