Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by Peter Kriens <pe...@aqute.biz> on 2014/08/28 16:56:05 UTC

Apache Felix Maven plugin

In the bnd(tools) group We currently are discussing the maven bundle plugin. The idea was raised to build this plugin during the normal continuous integration so we can keep the version current. We are already building another maven plugin in our build and releasing it so it should be quite straightforward for us. This would have the benefit that whenever we release a candidate or a final version we would put it in maven central as quickly as possible. From a logical point of view it seems to make sense to move the Apache Felix Bundle plugin into the bnd build since it is so closely coupled to bnd.

That said, logical is sometimes to rational (and there might be drawbacks we have not considered). Obviously we do not want to do anything that goes against the wishes of the Apache Felix group, we value this group way too highly to offend it so if the feelings here are not abundantly positive then we won't even look in that direction.

Are there any drawbacks? How does this group feel about this?

Kind regards,

	Peter Kriens

Re: Apache Felix Maven plugin

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
I agree that logically a move of the code base would make sense, however as
Stuart points out this comes with some questions around compatibility
(maven coordinates, package names). A move would only work, if all these
change and we would do kind of a code donation - but then users would have
to at least change the group id in their poms.
On the other hand, we have some work in the maven plugin which is not
directly related to bndtools, so I think there is a need to do a maven
bundle plugin release by people from the current group maintaining it from
time to time, independent of bnd/bndtoosl releases.

I'm not against such a move in general, but we have needs on both sides -
so maybe there is some compromise way which makes everyone happy?

Regards
Carsten

--
Carsten Ziegeler