Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Joe Bell <jo...@prodeasystems.com> on 2008/10/20 17:50:27 UTC

Subversion First-class Labels

I was browsing the web looking for an answer to the question as to
whether first-class labels were going to be a planned addition to
Subversion, but the best I could come up with was a lengthy discussion
on SVN DEV back in 2005.  I'm curious as to whether anyone knows where
this proposal is or is headed?

By first-class labels I mean labels analogous to Clearcase, you create a
label and then apply it to multiple elements (files, directories), etc.
to provide a mnemonic name for a given configuration of files.

Thanks,
Joe

Joseph Bell

joe.bell@prodeasystems.com

This message is confidential to Prodea Systems, Inc unless otherwise indicated
or apparent from its nature. This message is directed to the intended recipient
only, who may be readily determined by the sender of this message and its
contents. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an
employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended
recipient:(a)any dissemination or copying of this message is strictly
prohibited; and(b)immediately notify the sender by return message and destroy
any copies of this message in any form(electronic, paper or otherwise) that you
have.The delivery of this message and its information is neither intended to be
nor constitutes a disclosure or waiver of any trade secrets, intellectual
property, attorney work product, or attorney-client communications. The
authority of the individual sending this message to legally bind Prodea Systems
is neither apparent nor implied,and must be independently verified.

Re: Subversion First-class Labels

Posted by David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 3:44 AM, Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 20-Oct-08, at 5:18 PM, David Weintraub wrote:

>> Actually path-based policy is an easy way.
>
> I agree with that. svnperms.py (a hook script) fully supports the
> use-case of "create but not modify" this node.

Heck, I wrote this in a Perl pre-commit hook way back in the
Subversion 1.2/1.1. As I said "There's also no easy way to prevent
users from corrupting them ***(except through a custom pre-commit
hook)***.

I understand that you can use Subversion without first class tags.
Heck, I used SCCS, and it had no concept of tags or branch names. We
simply used shell scripts and text files, but that doesn't mean we
didn't miss them.

First class tags will allow us to do things such as using tags instead
of revision numbers. People who are familiar with other revision
control systems will tell you they miss the concept of first-class
tags.

--
David Weintraub
qazwart@gmail.com

Posted by km...@rockwellcollins.com.
"Erik Huelsmann" <eh...@gmail.com> wrote on 10/21/2008 02:44:26 AM:
> On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 3:17 AM, Toby Thain <to...@telegraphics.com.au>
wrote:

> > On 20-Oct-08, at 5:18 PM, David Weintraub wrote:
> >
> >> I second (or is it third?) this motion.
> >>
> >> Tags are pain to work with. They are simply branches which people
> >> promise not to modify. There's also no easy way to prevent users from
> >> corrupting them (except through a custom pre-commit hook).
> >

> > Actually path-based policy is an easy way.
>
> I agree with that. svnperms.py (a hook script) fully supports the
> use-case of "create but not modify" this node.

The concept of a "moving label" for integration, or minor updates
also must be done differently.  Instead of just re-applying a label to
a different version, you either need to re-tag, delete and re-copy,
or merge.  Depending on what is needed, this can be a multi-step
and more complicated process than other CM systems that have
first class labels.

Now granted, this is probably a "better" process, but one that
is foreign to a large number of people I have dealt with.  (You
can lead a horse to water, but can't make him drink.)

Something like svnperms.py does work, but if I'm using LDAP
for authentication, the svnaccess file for authorization and
now svnperms.py for action based control, I now have to
maintain 3 separate username files.  When you have 3000
users and hundreds of groups this isn't practical.

I'm reminded of a previous company I worked for that did
not allow engineers to do any user interface design.  Engineers
will usually create something that only other engineers
are comfortable using.  It may be fully functional and
incredibly powerful, but the casual user is going to just
sit and scratch their head in confusion...

Kevin R.

Re: Subversion First-class Labels

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Toby Thain <to...@telegraphics.com.au>.
On 20-Oct-08, at 5:18 PM, David Weintraub wrote:

> I second (or is it third?) this motion.
>
> Tags are pain to work with. They are simply branches which people
> promise not to modify. There's also no easy way to prevent users from
> corrupting them (except through a custom pre-commit hook).

Actually path-based policy is an easy way.

--Toby

Re: Subversion First-class Labels

Posted by David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com>.
I second (or is it third?) this motion.

Tags are pain to work with. They are simply branches which people
promise not to modify. There's also no easy way to prevent users from
corrupting them (except through a custom pre-commit hook).

What I'd really like is a way to use first class tags the same way we
use revisions. Being able to do things such as:

$ svn diff -rREL-1.0:REL-2.0

Or

$svn cp -rREL-1.2.3 file:///some/directory/file@REL-1.2.3
file:///some/other/directory/new-file

I'll accept the ability to have these first class tags as mere aliases
to revision numbers if that makes things simpler.

I like the way Perforce has two separate types of labels (as they call
them). Label type #1 is applying the label to individual revisions of
files much like CVS. Label type #2 is simply states a revision number,
and a range of files to include with that label. I really like label
type #2. It's faster, and there's less of a chance that you'll
accidently label the wrong revision.

--
David Weintraub
qazwart@gmail.com

Posted by Duncan Booth <du...@suttoncourtenay.org.uk>.
Steven Bakke <st...@amd.com> wrote:

>>> 2. What are the revisions included in a particular "label"?
>> Wouldn't "svn ls -v <tag URL>" give you that information ?
>
> No.  The revision numbers I'm typically interested in are the last-
> modified revisions, not the revision number associated with the tag
> creation.  One of the issues is that creation of a tag using a cheap
> copy is a commit in and of itself.  Generally, I want to know which
> last-modified trunk revisions are associated with the tag.  You have
> to crawl through the log in order to get that.  It gets worse if
> you've made a tag of a tag of a tag, since you have to walk through
> several levels of copying.

That is what svn ls -v shows you: the revision number and author of the
last commit. Usually only the tag itself will show with the tag creation
revision (against the entry ./), other files show you when they were last
modified.

You may actually want "svn ls -v -R <tag URL>" to get revision numbers for
all files and folders recursively.

Re: Subversion First-class Labels

Posted by Les Mikesell <le...@gmail.com>.
Steven Bakke wrote:

> On Oct 21, 2008, at 7:37 AM, Philippe Andersson wrote:
>
>> Steven Bakke wrote:
>>> 2. What are the revisions included in a particular "label"?
>> Wouldn't "svn ls -v <tag URL>" give you that information ?
>
> No.  The revision numbers I'm typically interested in are the
> last-modified revisions, not the revision number associated with the tag
> creation.  One of the issues is that creation of a tag using a cheap
> copy is a commit in and of itself.  Generally, I want to know which
> last-modified trunk revisions are associated with the tag.  You have to
> crawl through the log in order to get that.  It gets worse if you've
> made a tag of a tag of a tag, since you have to walk through several
> levels of copying.

Even worse: since you can create a tag  as a copy of a workspace (and
must if you want mixed revisions together) there can be items committed
to a tag that do not exist anywhere else in the repository.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@gmail.com

Re: Subversion First-class Labels

Posted by Philippe Andersson <pa...@iba-group.com>.
Steven Bakke wrote:

> On Oct 21, 2008, at 7:37 AM, Philippe Andersson wrote:
>
>> Steven Bakke wrote:
>>> 2. What are the revisions included in a particular "label"?
>> Wouldn't "svn ls -v <tag URL>" give you that information ?
>
> No.  The revision numbers I'm typically interested in are the
> last-modified revisions, not the revision number associated with the tag
> creation.
Based on my tests, "svn ls -v" gives me the last-modified revision for
all elements, except for the top-most directory, which is indeed
"modified" by the copy operation (= the applying of the tag).

> It gets worse if you've
> made a tag of a tag of a tag, since you have to walk through several
> levels of copying.
I've not investigated this use-case yet. Thanks for pointing it out ;-)

Ph. A.

--

*Philippe Andersson*
Unix System Administrator

The contents of this e-mail message and any attachments are intended solely for
the recipient (s) named above. This communication is intended to be and to
remain confidential and may be protected by intellectual property rights. Any
use of the information contained herein (including but not limited to, total or
partial reproduction, communication or distribution of any form) by persons
other than the designated recipient(s) is prohibited. Please notify the sender
secure or error-free. Ion Beam Applications does not accept liability for any
such errors. Thank you for your cooperation.

Re: Subversion First-class Labels

Posted by Steven Bakke <st...@amd.com>.

Posted by Philippe Andersson <pa...@iba-group.com>.

Posted by Steven Bakke <st...@amd.com>.

RE: test

Posted by Jan Hendrik <li...@gmail.com>.
Concerning RE: test
Eric Roberts wrote on 23 Oct 2008, 15:09, at least in part:

> Yes...it's the google apps mail...the one that uses your domain
> instead of the gmail or google mail domain name in the email addy.
> Hmm...I will have to see if they have a setting or anything like
> that...or at least chew on their ear about it.

Likely you will be out of luck.  From folks on a list I really would
care about getting copies of my own postings (and use a different
account anyway) I know they operate with two Gmail addresses
subscribed to the respective list:  one just to receive all postings,
while the other (the one they want to see as address in their
postings) is only used for posting, while set to "NOMAIL" in the
list's options.  That list is operated on Listserv, I have no idea if the
SVN lists allow for any setting beyond un/subscribing.

Jan Hendrik
---------------------------------------
Freedom quote:

     One's philosophy is not best expressed in words;
     it is expressed in the choices one makes ...
     and the choices we make are ultimately our responsibility.
               -- Eleanor Roosevelt

RE: test

Posted by Jan Hendrik <li...@gmail.com>.
Concerning RE: test
Eric Roberts wrote on 23 Oct 2008, 11:45, at least in part:

> I find it really annoying that my posts do not appear to me, giving me
> the impression that they are not making it to the list at all if no
> one responds to them.  They need to have a switch for that so that if
> you don't want to see your emails you can have it like that, but if
> you want to make sure they are getting posted, you can do that.

Eric,
I haven't checked all the headers of your posting (which might be
mangled by the mailserver anyway), but are you actually sending
your mail to the list through a gmail/gigglemail.com account?  Then
Google tries to be smart and silently deletes all your own
messages coming from the list server (and I think several kinds of
error/reject/return messages, too).  FWIW I never see any of my
postings when posting with this gmail address.

Jan Hendrik
---------------------------------------
Freedom quote:

     Personal liberty is the paramount essential
     to human dignity and human happiness.
               -- Edward G. Bulwer-Lytton (1803-1873)

Re: test

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 12:45, Eric Roberts
<ow...@threeravensconsulting.com> wrote:
> Thanks...one would think that with a different subject it would just start a
> new subject rather than a new thread in an existing subject.  I guess that
> is the downside of using a mailing list.

Some mail clients thread based on subject. Others do it based on the
In-Reply-To SMTP header. Others (I'm guessing) use a combination.

> I get my mails in Outlook, so I am not reading them in a threaded manner...I
> read them sequentially.

Outlook doesn't offer a threaded view, or is its threaded view broken,
or do you just choose not to use it?

Re: test

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.
Eric Roberts wrote:
> Thanks...one would think that with a different subject it would just start a
> new subject rather than a new thread in an existing subject.  I guess that
> is the downside of using a mailing list.

See

Blair

RE: test

Posted by Eric Roberts <ow...@threeravensconsulting.com>.
Thanks...one would think that with a different subject it would just start a
new subject rather than a new thread in an existing subject.  I guess that
is the downside of using a mailing list.

I find it really annoying that my posts do not appear to me, giving me the
impression that they are not making it to the list at all if no one responds
to them.  They need to have a switch for that so that if you don't want to
see your emails you can have it like that, but if you want to make sure they
are getting posted, you can do that.

I get my mails in Outlook, so I am not reading them in a threaded manner...I
read them sequentially.

Thanks for responding!

Eric

Posted by Ulrich Eckhardt <ec...@satorlaser.com>.
On Monday 20 October 2008, Eric Roberts wrote:
> This is a test...are my posts showing up here, I am not seeing them or
> posts, is there a way to turn that on?  Thanks.

Actually, you test is a failure. You didn't obey the list guidelines but
started a new thread by replying to an unrelated post. For me, your mail
appears nested inside an unrelated thread, maybe that's the case for you,
too? At least that would appear that you can't easily find the mail.

Other than that, I can see you mails just fine, e.g. there were three on
Saturday.

Uli

Sator Laser GmbH

RE: test

Posted by "Bottomley, Peter" <PB...@t-tales.com>.
Yes they are. Messages take a while to be viewable usually as I assume
they are being sent to quite a few people.

I use "Reply to all" to send messages back to the op and the
users@subversion.tigris.org address.

Pete.

test

Posted by Eric Roberts <ow...@threeravensconsulting.com>.