Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Markus Wagner <ma...@mail.uni-mainz.de> on 2000/11/29 23:56:10 UTC

xml site organization: how to make it growable?

Hi,

I have defined a web site with one menu and a lot of pages as follows:

<web name="MyWeb">

 <menu>
  <group name="About me">
   <item id="1" name="My Interests"/>
   <item id="2" name="My Bookmarks"/>
  </group>
  <group name="...">
  </group>
 </menu>

 <page id="1" name="My Interests">
  ...content...
 </page>

 <page id="2" name="My Bookmarks">
  ...content...
 </page>

 </web>

Assume this code in a file called "myweb.xml".

I then use parameters to select the actual page to be displayed, e. g.
http://localhost/myweb.xml?id=2

Within my xsl stylesheet I use this parameter to select one page from
the set of defined pages:

<xsl:apply-templates select="page[@id=$id]"/>

This all works fine, but when I have many pages, the organization gets
inefficient. I do not want to keep all page elements in one file. So I
have to declare them as external entities at the beginning and I have to
reference them within the web element.

Isn't it possible to include an external xml file with one single
statement, textually?

Or:

How can I minimize my work when adding or changing my pages?

Many thanks,

Markus

Re: xml site organization: how to make it growable?

Posted by Markus Wagner <ma...@mail.uni-mainz.de>.
Hi Viktor,

the main problem would, howto get the external documents into my web?

<web>
 <menu>
 </menu>

The documents should go here!!!

</web>

The only thin I know is to use the ENTITY-tag. But this would force me
to make everything twice: declare an external file at the top of
MyWeb.xml, and reference it within the web (&myBookmargs; etc...).

Markus

Posted by Viktors Rotanovs <Vi...@Rotanovs.com>.
Hi Markus,