Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Smith G <gu...@gmail.com> on 2010/02/04 15:52:23 UTC

Solr Index size : Java out of memory

Hello All,
             I am trying to start Solr server using Jetty ( same as in
Solr tutorial in their website ).  As the index size is around 3.5gb
its returning OutOfMemoryError. Is it mandatory to satisfy the
condition java heap size > index size ? . If yes, is there any
solution to run Solr successfully on my computer. Please also note
that my ram size is 3GB.
   I am using jetty on local computer ( a faster one ) as its only for
testing purpose. The only option I have is the same. So, any
suggestions ?
Thanks.

Re: Solr Index size : Java out of memory

Posted by Lance Norskog <go...@gmail.com>.
Solr needs memory allocation for different operations, not for the
index size. It needs X amount of memory for a query, Y amount of
memory for document found by a query, and other things. Sorting needs
memory for the number of documents. Faceting needs memory for the
number of unique values in a field.  You just have to experiment with
increasing the java heap until you stop getting OutOfMemory errors.

--
Lance Norskog
goksron@gmail.com

Re: Solr Index size : Java out of memory

Posted by Vijayant Kumar <vi...@websitetoolbox.com>.
Hi I was faced the same problem.

You can get it rectified by allocating specified memory to the jar process
that is running.

java -Xmx1024M -Xms1024M -jar start.jar you can specify the amount of
memory to the process.

--

Thank you,
Vijayant Kumar