Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by John Masinter <jo...@masinter.net> on 2009/10/20 20:09:34 UTC

How to permanently delete file?

Detail:
I committed some commercial source to our repo, which we have properly licensed for our use. This was legit.

Development has gone on, many commits. Now I'm told outsiders will need to access our repo, and the commercial source needs to be removed.

I deleted it, but of course it can easily be retrieved by going back to any old revision during the period it existed.

Is there any way to "really" delete a file from the history. Or if not, perhaps just wipe the data in the file to zeros? Surely there is a hack for this.

I do understand other options such as starting a new repo, post delete; or branch post delete, and grant access only to that branch. Those options do not satisfy my employer. They want the file "really" deleted.

Any ideas appreciated?

Re: How to permanently delete file?

Posted by "CompLing Help (David Brodbeck)" <li...@u.washington.edu>.

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.5/svn.reposadmin.maint.html#svn.reposadmin.maint.filtering

--

CompLing Help (David Brodbeck)
linghelp@u.washington.edu

Re: How to permanently delete file?

Posted by Dextrous <de...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 1:39 AM, John Masinter <jo...@masinter.net> wrote:

> recovered from a past revision?
>
> Detail:
> I committed some commercial source to our repo, which we have properly
> licensed for our use. This was legit.
>
> Development has gone on, many commits. Now I'm told outsiders will need to
> access our repo, and the commercial source needs to be removed.
>
> I deleted it, but of course it can easily be retrieved by going back to any
> old revision during the period it existed.
>
> Is there any way to "really" delete a file from the history. Or if not,
> perhaps just wipe the data in the file to zeros? Surely there is a hack for
> this.
>
> I do understand other options such as starting a new repo, post delete; or
> branch post delete, and grant access only to that branch. Those options do
> not satisfy my employer. They want the file "really" deleted.
>
> Any ideas appreciated?

  take a look at svnadmin dump and svndumpfilter

Vishwajeet Singh
+91-9657702154 | dextrous85@gmail.com | http://singhvishwajeet.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/vishwajeets | LinkedIn:
http://www.linkedin.com/in/singhvishwajeet