Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by "Kang , Joseph S." <jo...@netex.com> on 2004/09/23 23:50:25 UTC

[Semi OT]: Spam OPT-OUT link distributes DragDrop JS exploit

I can't recall if this article from The Register got mentioned here or not:

Click here to become infected
By John Leyden
Published Wednesday 22nd September 2004 09:15 GMT

Users should be wary of pressing the 'click here to remove' link on spam
messages because it serves to confirm to spammers that junk mail messages
are being read. Such email addresses can be sold at a premium to other
spammers.

That's reason enough to simply delete spam messages, but a junk mail message
doing the rounds today provides an even more compelling reason. Selecting
the 'click here to remove' link on messages blocked by MessageLabs today
triggers an attempt to load malicious code onto potentially vulnerable
Windows PC.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/09/22/opt-out_exploit/

Not sure about the rest of you but I have stopped advising my users to click
on those links anway.  I just assume that they're used more as address
confirmation than for really opting out...

-Joe