Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com> on 2009/02/03 08:30:01 UTC

[site] RFCs

ATM the james server site contains a number of RFCs
(http://james.apache.org/server/rfclist.html).

the copyright on these documents allows verbatim distribution but not
the production of derivative works. i think that it would be ok to
distribute them as part of a release but there'd be some sorting out
to do over on legal-discuss and probably some changes required to
LICENSE and NOTICE files.

i was wondering whether it might be better to move the RFCs to the top
level site (into http://james.apache.org/spec, perhaps). the old URLs
would be redirected using a .htaccess to preserve incoming links.

this would have the disadvantage that the RFCs would not be shipped
with the server (and so would not be available offline) but would have
the advantage that all products could link to a central set of
standards which could be maintained centrally (perhaps with separate
commentary).

opinions?

- robert

Re: [site] RFCs

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <bf...@brainlounge.de>.
Stefano Bagnara wrote:
> Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:
>> ATM the james server site contains a number of RFCs
>> (http://james.apache.org/server/rfclist.html).
>>
>> the copyright on these documents allows verbatim distribution but not
>> the production of derivative works. i think that it would be ok to
>> distribute them as part of a release but there'd be some sorting out
>> to do over on legal-discuss and probably some changes required to
>> LICENSE and NOTICE files.
>>
>> i was wondering whether it might be better to move the RFCs to the top
>> level site (into http://james.apache.org/spec, perhaps). the old URLs
>> would be redirected using a .htaccess to preserve incoming links.
>>
>> this would have the disadvantage that the RFCs would not be shipped
>> with the server (and so would not be available offline) but would have
>> the advantage that all products could link to a central set of
>> standards which could be maintained centrally (perhaps with separate
>> commentary).
>>
>> opinions?
>
> IMO we could even remove them and simply link to some url.
> Your proposal to move them to the top level is OK, too.
>
> Stefano

+1

Bernd

Re: [site] RFCs