Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by Simon Walter <si...@hokkaidotracks.com> on 2009/06/24 03:54:21 UTC

Struts and Tiles app moving to Lenya

Hi all,

I have inherited an extremely poorly managed website where everything
was coded by hand using Struts and Tiles and no DB. Any change required
open Eclipse and editing Tile, .vm, .properties, and all sorts of files.
It would be quicker and neater to write raw HTML. Needless to say, I
want to do away with all this hand written XML and whatnot and use
something more robust and manageable - Lenya.

However, there is one part of the app that I do not want to rewrite. I
guess it's really the part of the "app" that is an app. It's uses SOAP
to communicate with a server on the LAN that handles reservations. It
checks for availability. Before my times, we outsourced the creation of
this app.

The main thing I would like is not have to resort to using an iframe or
maintaining the layout (css, images, menus, etc) for two different
websites and try to make them look like one.

Has anyone done anything like this before? If so, first of all, I'd like
to know if it's possible. Then if I can't figure it out, I may come back
and ask for help. Another thing I'd like to ask advice on is: how much
should I expect to be charged by the company, that we outsourced the
creation of this app to, for them to integrate it with Lenya. They seem
to be rip off artists. So I want to know what is reasonable.

You can see the website here:
http://www.htholidays.com/

The booking section is the part of the app I want to keep. Yes, it's a
wreck. Which is why I'm trying to bring some order.

I've found a few hints in the archives about integrating Struts with
Lenya, but nothing substantial.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Thank you,

Simon

Re: Struts and Tiles app moving to Lenya

Posted by Simon Walter <si...@hokkaidotracks.com>.
Hi Vik,

Thanks for your reply.

Vik Tara wrote:
> Does your website communicate with the application using SOAP? What is
> the application written in?

The website communicates via SOAP with the booking engine. I don't want
to rewrite this part of the website. Right now the entire website is
compiled into a war file and deployed on the tomcat server. I'd rather
strip down the website, leaving only the booking forms etc, and handle
the rest in Lenya. Though Lenya does seem to have great support for
forms. Maybe We'll need to look at that in the future.

What Andreas mentioned sounds like what I'd like to do. Eventually we
may look at rewriting the whole thing, but we can't have any down time.
Managing the website by writing lines of XML rather than letting editors
type words is getting to be pain really quick - and I've only been on
the project 2 weeks...

Re: Struts and Tiles app moving to Lenya

Posted by Vik Tara <vi...@propco.co.uk>.
Hi Simon,

>> However, there is one part of the app that I do not want to rewrite. I
>> guess it's really the part of the "app" that is an app. It's uses SOAP
>> to communicate with a server on the LAN that handles reservations. It
>> checks for availability. Before my times, we outsourced the creation of
>> this app.

Does your website communicate with the application using SOAP? What is
the application written in?

It's not too difficult to bring data into Lenya from a webservice - at
our company we use this method a lot.

Regards

Vik

Posted by Simon Walter <si...@hokkaidotracks.com>.
Hi Andreas,

Thank you for your reply.

Andreas Hartmann wrote:
> what would the integration look like? Would the app just be embedded
> into the Lenya-based website, or is there a relation between the data?
> Passing information extracted from the Lenya content to the external
> app (e.g., a hotel ID as request parameter) should be no problem, but
> a deeper integration might require more work.
There is no relation with the data. So it would just be displaying the
forms for booking/enquiring. However, there is some relation with css.
Though I don't think that is what you are referring to by data relation.

> I'm confident that this will be possible. Lenya is based on Cocoon
> which is a great framework for application integration. We integrated
> several apps into Lenya websites in customer projects.
>
> There are several approaches for such an integration:
>
> * Server-side via simply including the output in the page (single pages)
> * Server-side, Lenya acts as a proxy (if the app has a page flow)
> * Server-side via a web service, pages generated by Lenya (SOAP/REST/…)
> * Client-side (JavaScript with AJAX/JSON)
> * …
Both one and two sound correct. However, one might not work as there are
several successive forms: step1, step2, step3... like on a shopping cart
system where you first enter the shipping details then the billing
details. So maybe the proxy idea is good.

> I never heard the term "rip off artist" before. Is it the same as "con
> artist"?

Kind of. Except that you actually deliver the goods but at a very high
price. Usually the person being "ripped off" doesn't know it.

> I guess the app is only accessible by registered agents, or can we
> take a look at it online? I didn't find a booking section on the
> website, only the enquiry forms …
Right on the home page it says (albeit in an image :/) "ready to book?"
This form and the following forms I would like to show on the Lenya
site. Right now they get their styling from the site as they are
deployed in the same war.

The first form gets your arrival date etc. Then next form presents you
with available properties. You choose the property you want. Then you
move on to either inquiring or booking. We seem to be getting a 500
error after that. ...rip off artists... I guess we could recreate most
of this in Lenya. Except for the bit that transmit data via SOAP. I will
have to take a look at going down this path in the future, as it seems
that I could treat the stripped down app as a CGI that accepts POST
data. Are my assumptions correct? Would that be easier and more
importantly quicker that trying to go with the Lenya as a proxy method?
Or is this basically the same thing?

Andreas, thank you for your great feedback. I will talk to our
outsourced developers and I will get in contact with some of the
companies on that page. If "management" approves, maybe we'll outsource
to someone else. Of course budgets are tight everywhere now. Which is
one reason I find myself clean this mess up.

Re: Struts and Tiles app moving to Lenya

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Hi Simon,

Simon Walter schrieb:
> I have inherited an extremely poorly managed website where everything
> was coded by hand using Struts and Tiles and no DB. Any change required
> open Eclipse and editing Tile, .vm, .properties, and all sorts of files.
> It would be quicker and neater to write raw HTML. Needless to say, I
> want to do away with all this hand written XML and whatnot and use
> something more robust and manageable - Lenya.
>
> However, there is one part of the app that I do not want to rewrite. I
> guess it's really the part of the "app" that is an app. It's uses SOAP
> to communicate with a server on the LAN that handles reservations. It
> checks for availability. Before my times, we outsourced the creation of
> this app.

what would the integration look like? Would the app just be embedded
into the Lenya-based website, or is there a relation between the data?
Passing information extracted from the Lenya content to the external app
(e.g., a hotel ID as request parameter) should be no problem, but a
deeper integration might require more work.

> The main thing I would like is not have to resort to using an iframe or
> maintaining the layout (css, images, menus, etc) for two different
> websites and try to make them look like one.
>
> Has anyone done anything like this before? If so, first of all, I'd like
> to know if it's possible.

I'm confident that this will be possible. Lenya is based on Cocoon which
is a great framework for application integration. We integrated several
apps into Lenya websites in customer projects.

There are several approaches for such an integration:

* Server-side via simply including the output in the page (single pages)
* Server-side, Lenya acts as a proxy (if the app has a page flow)
* Server-side via a web service, pages generated by Lenya (SOAP/REST/…)
* Client-side (JavaScript with AJAX/JSON)
* …

> Then if I can't figure it out, I may come back
> and ask for help. Another thing I'd like to ask advice on is: how much
> should I expect to be charged by the company, that we outsourced the
> creation of this app to, for them to integrate it with Lenya. They seem
> to be rip off artists. So I want to know what is reasonable.

I never heard the term "rip off artist" before. Is it the same as "con
artist"?

Actually I'd recommend finding someone who is familiar with Lenya or at
least Cocoon. There are several companies offering Lenya services (see
e.g. [1]).

It's very hard to estimate the amount of work necessary for the
integration without further information. Can you explain what the
integration would look like?

> You can see the website here:
> http://www.htholidays.com/
>
> The booking section is the part of the app I want to keep. Yes, it's a
> wreck. Which is why I'm trying to bring some order.

I guess the app is only accessible by registered agents, or can we take
a look at it online? I didn't find a booking section on the website,
only the enquiry forms …

[1]
http://www.opensourcexperts.com/Index/index_html/Apache%20Lenya/index.html

-- Andreas