Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Norman Breau <no...@nbsolutions.ca> on 2022/10/21 14:23:18 UTC

Plugin Search

Hi Team,

I want to reach a final verdict on how deal with the broken search page
at https://cordova.apache.org/plugins/

We have an active issue being tracked at
https://github.com/apache/cordova-docs/issues/1128 but in summary,
the rest service used to power the search has gone offline and doesn't
appear to be coming back.

Throughout the thread there has been several ideals about how to move
forward including:

1. Using another third-party API service: https://api-docs.npms.io/
2. Having a static page listing the officially supported Apache plugins,
with a link to https://www.npmjs.com/search?q=ecosystem%3Acordova
3. Removing the page entirely, maybe with a blog post explaining how to
find third-party plugins.

Additionally there are few ideas floated around with using the NPM Couch
API directly, but there may be terms of use issues involved without
having self-managed server hosting a mirror.

Personally, I vote -1 for #1 and #3. npms.io doesn't have a clear terms
of use, as far as I can find. I'm not sure if the API matches the old
npmsearch that we did use, and we may just run into the same issue
down the road. For #3, community members have already explicitly
expressed dissent with removing the page entirely.

I vote +1 for #2, having the static page with a mention + link to NPM
for third-party plugins. I think this is most likely the best path forward.

Re: Plugin Search

Posted by George Henne <gh...@nsbasic.com>.
I agree with Norm: +1 on #2. The npmjs.com search works fairly well - it wouldn’t be worth trying to make something better.

George Henne
VoltBuilder Support

Re: Plugin Search

Posted by Norman Breau <no...@normanbreau.com>.
Thanks for your input everybody.

#2 is the clear winner. Erisu I guess already made a PR that follows
this path at https://github.com/apache/cordova-docs/pull/1269

Cheers,
Norman

Re: Plugin Search

Posted by Tim Brust <ti...@gmail.com>.
+1 to #2

On Fri, Oct 21, 2022 at 5:48 PM Jesse <pu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> #2 makes the most sense to me too, easiest to support long term
>
> > On Oct 21, 2022, at 8:17 AM, julio cesar sanchez <jc...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > +1 to option #2
> >
> > Niklas, option 2 already mentions having a link to the npm search with
> > cordova ecosystem prefilled for easier searching of other 3rd party
> plugins
> >
> >> El El vie, 21 oct 2022 a las 16:39, Niklas Merz <ni...@apache.org>
> >> escribió:
> >>
> >> I'm +1 on #2, too. Making clear which plugins are Official and supported
> >> actively is a good idea. And just a simple note on how to find more on
> >> npm is enough IMHO.

Tim Brust
timbrust3103@gmail.com

Re: Plugin Search

Posted by Jesse <pu...@gmail.com>.
#2 makes the most sense to me too, easiest to support long term

Re: Plugin Search

Posted by julio cesar sanchez <jc...@gmail.com>.
+1 to option #2

Re: Plugin Search