Posted to dev@lucenenet.apache.org by Laimonas Simutis <la...@gmail.com> on 2019/01/25 13:14:25 UTC

Update on dev happenings

Hello there,

A quick note on what was discovered/done this past week while getting
things back up and running.

- Simon's fix for https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENENET-597 was
merged
- lucenenet-site repo is up where we will commit the website code
- old/irrelevant JIRA tickets cleaned up (more cleanup coming)

Next:

- working on getting the TeamCity builds going so that we could verify with
more confidence another of Simon's fixes (
https://github.com/apache/lucenenet/pull/218), and in general get the
feedback from builds flowing to have more confidence on the 4.8 stability.
- work with Shannon to get his PR for the website merged into the site
repo, hopefully, we hear from him soon.
- clean up CONTRIBUTE.md so it's very clear what sort of next tasks are
outstanding

Also, if you have time, take a look at the comment Shad made in this ticket
(comment highlighted):
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENENET-601?focusedCommentId=16465234.
I think that's a very good overview of where we are at with 4.8. Short
version: if we decide to go without fully ICU working bits, we could
potentially release 4.8. But that's a discussion for a separate thread.

Have a great Friday everyone,

Laimonas

RE: Update on dev happenings

Posted by Shad Storhaug <sh...@shadstorhaug.com>.
Patric,

Thanks for the suggestion. I am not sure how relevant it is though because our GitHub presence is just a mirror of the repo that is hosted at Apache. When we push commits, we push them directly to Apache so GitHub really has no way to hook into the process unless it is somehow based on watching for commit changes by polling.

In fact, that is why Azure DevOps doesn't "just work" - they aren't watching for commit changes to the mirror, they are expecting the commits through the front door that is strictly read-only by Apache. I haven't tried, but I suspect that the PR functionality of Azure DevOps will work because those are submitted directly through GitHub. It would be a bit of a pain for every committer to have to open a PR first before merging their own commits in order to get any CI results, though.

I don't even have enough access to the apache/lucenenet GitHub account to merge a pull request and I am not sure whether I can get it because I haven't asked. I have just been working around it by merging PRs with Git and closing them via commit message.

It seems that the path of least resistance here is to use our existing setup on TeamCity to fire an API call to Azure DevOps. TeamCity has its own built in key vault so whatever credentials are required to call the Azure DevOps API can be stored there, and whatever task that is necessary can be setup to make the API call. Its quite slow, though - the poll only happens every 20 minutes and then there could be another 5-10 minute wait to get a build agent. The polling interval can be adjusted, but not sure what the minimum would be that Apache's server could handle. Slow is still better than never or manual, though.

Thanks,
Shad Storhaug (NightOwl888)

Posted by Patric Forsgard <pa...@tasteful.se>.

RE: Update on dev happenings

Posted by Shad Storhaug <sh...@shadstorhaug.com>.
Update.

[...]

However, I have run into a couple of obstacles with actually getting this to work with the official repo. It seems that there are INFRA issues blocking it from working as a CI integration because Microsoft requires write repo access and Apache has a strict policy against it: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-17030

Re: Update on dev happenings

Posted by Laimonas Simutis <la...@gmail.com>.

Re: Update on dev happenings

Posted by Laimonas Simutis <la...@gmail.com>.

Re: Update on dev happenings

Re: Update on dev happenings

Re: Update on dev happenings

Posted by Laimonas Simutis <la...@gmail.com>.
Simon,

Re: Update on dev happenings

Posted by Simon Svensson <si...@devhost.se>.
Hi,

Re: Update on dev happenings

Posted by Laimonas Simutis <la...@gmail.com>.
Simon,

Re: Update on dev happenings

Re: Update on dev happenings

Posted by Laimonas Simutis <la...@gmail.com>.
Simon,

Re: Update on dev happenings

RE: Update on dev happenings

Posted by Aaron Meyers <Aa...@microsoft.com.INVALID>.
I have no opposition to moving forward with 4.8 release personally, but I would like to just call out that while we (Microsoft Power BI) are using Lucene.Net 4.8 beta5 in both shipping product and service production environments, we are using a fairly narrow slice of Lucene.Net functionality (just the core index with our own analyzers; none of the query parsers, document ranking or additional modules outside of the Lucene.Net assembly). So I wouldn't put all our confidence in the stability of 4.8 across the board on my team's usage.

If anyone else is currently using 4.8 for a more typical search scenario it would be nice to hear :)

Posted by Andrey Kurdumov <ka...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

Re: Update on dev happenings

Posted by Andrey Kurdumov <ka...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

Re: Update on dev happenings

Posted by Elad Margalit <el...@gmail.com>.

Re: Update on dev happenings

Re: Update on dev happenings

Re: Update on dev happenings

Posted by Simon Svensson <si...@devhost.se>.
Hi,

Are there any news about the TeamCity installation? I don't speak
TeamCityish, but I would presume the build step is not producing the
artifacts that the tests step require.

> Failed to resolve artifacts from <teamcity.codebetter.com / Lucene.NET
/ Portable Builds / Lucene.Net Base Build, build #4.8.0-ci0000001192 [id
1920179]>

// Simon Svensson