Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Rommert de Bruijn <r....@func.nl> on 2008/10/23 10:09:55 UTC

SortablePalette possible?

Hi all,

I'm currently working on a web application that requires Persons to be
added/removed to/from a UserGroup. What I have in mind is much like the
Palette component, but with added functionality:

a) a left hand list with all unselected Persons , a right hand list with
selected Persons, and buttons to move Persons from left to right and
vice versa, supporting Ctrl/Shift+click behavior to make selections.
b) each item in the list shows firstName and lastName, as tabular data.
c) up/down sorting behavior on each property that is displayed (in this
case: firstName and lastName), for both lists.

a) is basically Palette. But b) does not go well with Palette, since the
<option> tag in Palette is not allowed (w3c) to take any additional html
such as <tr> and <td>. To display tabular data, I could use a DataView,
which would work nicely with c) using OrderByBorders. But alas: DataView
does not support the Ctrl/Shift+click behavior that I need.

As they say: pictures say more then 1000 words. So I'll skip the other
800 or so words and attach a  screenshot of what I'd like to make :) The
image contains some Dutch text, which I'll gladly translate if necessary.

My actual questions:
- Has anyone tried this before, either successful or unsuccessful?
- Which components would you use to create something that does all this?
- If this combination of functionality seems impossible to merge into
one component, which functionality would you drop to create "the next
best thing"?

Thanks in advance,
Rommert de Bruijn

--
Rommert de Bruijn
Func. Internet Integration

Re: SortablePalette possible?

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.
it is definitely possible to create it. as far as approaches, there
are many many options.

the top level component should be a formcomponentpanel.

inside you can use datatables to represent your options as they
already provide sortable headers.

-igor

Posted by Rommert de Bruijn <r....@func.nl>.

Rommert de Bruijn wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm currently working on a web application that requires Persons to be
> added/removed to/from a UserGroup. What I have in mind is much like
> the Palette component, but with added functionality:
>
> a) a left hand list with all unselected Persons , a right hand list
> with selected Persons, and buttons to move Persons from left to right
> and vice versa, supporting Ctrl/Shift+click behavior to make selections.
> b) each item in the list shows firstName and lastName, as tabular data.
> c) up/down sorting behavior on each property that is displayed (in
> this case: firstName and lastName), for both lists.
>
> a) is basically Palette. But b) does not go well with Palette, since
> the <option> tag in Palette is not allowed (w3c) to take any
> additional html such as <tr> and <td>. To display tabular data, I
> could use a DataView, which would work nicely with c) using
> OrderByBorders. But alas: DataView does not support the
> Ctrl/Shift+click behavior that I need.
>
> As they say: pictures say more then 1000 words. So I'll skip the other
> 800 or so words and attach a  screenshot of what I'd like to make :)
> The image contains some Dutch text, which I'll gladly translate if
> necessary.
>
> My actual questions:
> - Has anyone tried this before, either successful or unsuccessful?
> - Which components would you use to create something that does all this?
> - If this combination of functionality seems impossible to merge into
> one component, which functionality would you drop to create "the next
> best thing"?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Rommert de Bruijn

Rommert de Bruijn