Posted to c-user@axis.apache.org by Tim Bartley <tb...@au1.ibm.com> on 2005/02/24 01:08:50 UTC

Connection timeout vs response timeout?

Hi,

On the client side, are connection timeouts able to be controlled
indpendently of response timeouts?

I commonly want a short connection timeout but a longer response timeout -
if connection is going to fail I want to know quickly and failover but I'm
happy to wait sufficient time for the response to actually be generated.

Thanks,

Tim
--
IBM Tivoli Access Manager Development
Gold Coast Development Lab, Australia

Re: Connection timeout vs response timeout?

Posted by John Hawkins <ha...@uk.ibm.com>.
agreed.

Samisa Abeysinghe <sa...@gmail.com>
24/02/2005 11:15
Please respond to
"Apache AXIS C User List"

Apache AXIS C User List <ax...@ws.apache.org>
cc

Subject
Re: Connection timeout vs response timeout?

As per the pull model used in Axis C++, it starts parsing the message
as soon as some part of the message is received. Hence it would make
more sense to time out on first byte arrival.
However, if a message is partially dealt with the pull parser, and the
other part does not arrive (or too late), there has to be mechanisms
to deal with that as well.

Samisa...

Posted by John Hawkins <ha...@uk.ibm.com>.
Can you create  JIRA for this so we don't lose it?

Tim Bartley <tb...@au1.ibm.com>
24/02/2005 23:34
Please respond to
"Apache AXIS C User List"

"Apache AXIS C User List" <ax...@ws.apache.org>
cc

Subject
Re: Connection timeout vs response timeout?

Right and I would see a response timeout as applying between each chunk as
well as before the first chunk. Now there may be some strange applications
that try and stream data in a slow response e.g. send one array element
every minute as a stock ticker, I've seen horrible HTTP apps like that but
they're the very sparse exception rather than the rule.

Regards,

Tim
--
IBM Tivoli Access Manager Development