Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by James Coyle <ja...@mac.com> on 2010/08/22 22:57:44 UTC

[users@httpd] Conundrum

Ever since I reinstalled Snow Leopard on my Mac, i've had some serious Apache issues. Judging from this diagnostic information:

> httpd: Syntax error on line 54 of /private/etc/apache2/httpd.conf: Cannot load /private/etc/apache2/libexec/apache2/mod_authn_file.so into server: dlopen(/private/etc/apache2/libexec/apache2/mod_authn_file.so, 10): image not found

...it appears that a linkage of some sort is missing. I'm wondering if I need to reinstall Apache altogether, and if so, how would I install it so that it is configured as by Snow Leopard? (I believe Snow Leopard installs it in a non-standard way.)  Thanks.

Re: [users@httpd] Conundrum

Posted by "J. Greenlees" <li...@jaqui-greenlees.net>.
James Coyle wrote:
> But as far as I know, Apache is part of the standard Snow Leopard installation so it would not need to be reinstalled right?
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Aug 22, 2010, at 5:15 PM, "J. Greenlees" <li...@jaqui-greenlees.net> wrote:
>
>> James Coyle wrote:
>>> Ever since I reinstalled Snow Leopard on my Mac, i've had some serious Apache issues. Judging from this diagnostic information:
>>> ...it appears that a linkage of some sort is missing. I'm wondering if I need to reinstall Apache altogether, and if so, how would I install it so that it is configured as by Snow Leopard? (I believe Snow Leopard installs it in a non-standard way.)  Thanks.
>> yup.
>> every time you do an os re-install you need to re-install/reconfigure all extra software not installed or configured by default

but you may need to reconfigure snow leapard to allow apache to run,
using the install of apache is the easiest way to get that done.

Re: [users@httpd] Conundrum

Posted by James Coyle <ja...@mac.com>.

Re: [users@httpd] Conundrum

Posted by "J. Greenlees" <li...@jaqui-greenlees.net>.

Re: [users@httpd] Conundrum

Posted by Freek Dijkstra <pu...@macfreek.nl>.
James Coyle wrote:
> Ever since I reinstalled Snow Leopard on my Mac, i've had some serious
> Apache issues. Judging from this diagnostic information:
>
>> httpd: Syntax error on line 54 of /private/etc/apache2/httpd.conf:
>> Cannot load /private/etc/apache2/libexec/apache2/mod_authn_file.so
>> into server:
>> dlopen(/private/etc/apache2/libexec/apache2/mod_authn_file.so, 10):
>> image not found

>From my computer (added line breaks for readability):
~% grep -rsi mod_authn_file.so /etc/apache2

/etc/apache2/httpd.conf:
  LoadModule authn_file_module libexec/apache2/mod_authn_file.so
/etc/apache2/httpd.conf~orig:
  LoadModule authn_file_module libexec/apache2/mod_authn_file.so
/etc/apache2/original/httpd.conf:
  LoadModule authn_file_module libexec/apache2/mod_authn_file.so

And indeed:
~% locate mod_authn_file.so
/usr/libexec/apache2/mod_authn_file.so

Thus, NOT /private/etc/apache2/libexec/apache2/mod_authn_file.so.

Clearly you (or some application) have (in the past) changed your
/etc/apache2/httpd.conf.
Likely, reinstalling Snow Leopard will not help, unless it overwrites
the httpd.conf (and I suspect that is only the case for a fresh install,
while an upgrade leaves changes in /etc intact).

I would do either of the following:
- manually change the LoadModule paths in /etc/apache2/httpd.conf to
point to the correct paths. (If you like I can sent my httpd.conf offlist.)
-OR-
- You can also download and reinstall just the apache distribution that
came with Mac OS X (but not all of Mac OS X). You can download it here:
http://www.opensource.apple.com/source/apache/apache-747.1/
(I have not tried it, but expect that it is simple a matter of make;
make install)

Regards,
Freek