Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Pedro Viegas <pv...@gmail.com> on 2006/05/01 01:18:53 UTC

Re: [OT] OMG! A dynamic div component in JSF

I believe this has escalated far more than anticipated, hasn't it Geoff? :-D
I believe we are all basically in sync in what's been discussed here
(leaving aside the fw comparisons and flame wars! :-))

I agree that Tapestry still need to address some core issues! Absolutely
priority! That's what everything is build on top of!
It will always be like this, since the world doesn't stop spinning and
technology from evolving, so Tapestry has to keep up and even revolutionize!
Great tools on top of a bad, inefficient of not-there-yet framework don't
get you that far!
(not that Tapestry is any of the above. I'll slap myself silly if you
thought I meant that!)

But not every body has your skills Konstantin. We have many levels of
experience and expertise in the Tapestry community, or widening the picture,
in the world wide programmer community who may take a look at Tapestry and
see if it is something they should look into... or not!
This is not something like that microsoft-way-of-doing-things (what have I
done! the M work, this will really flame things up even more! :-D).
Lets build some beautiful RAD IDE for Tapestry, witch even serves us a cup
of coffee while it generates tons of what-is-that-for code behind the
scenes! No, not even close.
I believe we are all talking about getting legions of programmers using
Tapestry easily, even if they are not gurus. A little bit quicker in the
beginning, and more productively through a few gadgets witch helps us code
faster but still not loosing focus on why thing are done this and that way,
just pointing us there and helping us along the way!
Big projects are not done with one or two gurus. They require tens of
programmers with different levels of skills... so, tools are important, very
important for these realities.
And I for one have been for several years in the past a very active Delphi
programmer (got a few memories back with that reference! :-)) and never did
I feel that those RAD like IDE gadgets were not helping me be more
productive. It would have been simply not productive to do it all with just
a syntax checker, even thought I knew how to do it. I would simply take a
few minutes more every our of work to accomplish the same tasks.
This is something witch is only natural in Delphi, VB, Java (including
Tapestry) or any other programming language. At least that is what I have
come to believe!

So, summing it up, a good plugin like Geoff and Hugo are taking the immense
effort to build/improve are VERY welcome and necessary!
And I don't see one good reason why they should not be build at the same
time as Tapestry is itself improved. The world is spinning, Tapestry is out
there, tons of developers use it every day and all of us want that to
continue and expand... all of us will benefit from that, and Tools, will
help that, that's something that won't even need discussing, don't you
think?

My thanks go to Geoff and Hugo. The result of their efforts is a tremendous
impact on easiness of development for almost every Tap developer out there.
And they're doing it themselves! Someone should really build some site to
honour them or something! :-D

Keep up that good work Geoff. Don't let those feelings be hurt Hugo. :-D
We are all profiting from your daily hours of sleep not taken! And we all
are very grateful for that!

Regards,

On 4/27/06, andrejk <an...@koelewijn.net> wrote:

> As for JSF tool support, i've created a screencast to show you how
> jdeveloper
> works:
>
> http://www.it-eye.nl/weblog/2006/04/26/ide-productivity-for-jsf-a-screencast/
>
> As you can see in the movie, it goes a lot further than dreamweaver.
>
> Regards,
> Andrej

Pedro Viegas