Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Anthony Ogier <ao...@iorga-group.com> on 2006/12/01 16:57:17 UTC

Tool to merge vendor branch, which automatically detectes moves !

Hi list,

I'm working on customizing an open source project for specific needs,
and so, after long research on how to handle that sort of projects with
SVN, I did a vendor branch, as it is described in the svn book. I was by
the way astonished to see that SVN couldn't handle the merge between two
different repositories.

So I firstly tried the "svn_load_dirs.pl" method, but was rapidly
deceived because it doesn't handle the SVN moves alone.
I then found "svn-import.py" by astrand
(http://svn.haxx.se/users/archive-2006-10/0857.shtml), but it still
didn't handle the moves automatically.
So I decided to create my own tool to handle that, and I decided to send
it back to all of you, hoping that it could help someone else in the
same case.

Cheers,
    Anthony

Re: Tool to merge vendor branch, which automatically detectes moves !

Posted by David Glasser <gl...@mit.edu>.
On 12/1/06, Anthony Ogier <ao...@iorga-group.com> wrote:
> So I firstly tried the "svn_load_dirs.pl" method, but was rapidly
> deceived because it doesn't handle the SVN moves alone.
> I then found "svn-import.py" by astrand
> (http://svn.haxx.se/users/archive-2006-10/0857.shtml), but it still
> didn't handle the moves automatically.
> So I decided to create my own tool to handle that, and I decided to send
> it back to all of you, hoping that it could help someone else in the
> same case.

Very neat.  Do you think this is the sort of thing that would be
useful in the "contrib" directory of the Subversion repository?

(Also, do you know how this compares to piston?
http://piston.rubyforge.org/  Looks kind of similar, except piston
doesn't support copies/moves/etc.)

--dave

--