Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Peter Lin <wo...@gmail.com> on 2005/01/01 01:07:11 UTC

Re: adding features to Status servlet

that's why I decided it was a good idea to ask for other's thoughts.
>From a stress testing perspective, I find system load stats very
valuable. breaking tomcat isn't something I find desirable either, but
there has to be a better way to measure system load other than ssh
into the server and use top.

manually doing top or sysinfo is fine for load testing, but for
performance monitoring, something automated is desirable. My thought
was to make it optional and have it detect whether or not a native lib
for that platform exists. If it doesn't it would affect the status
servlet and would look exactly the same as it does now.

on the otherhand, if the user enables it and a native lib exists, it
could display the system load. the only other option is to lobby Sun
to add system load stats to the VM, so that it is portable across
platforms.

peter

Posted by Costin Manolache <cm...@yahoo.com>.
As implementation - I assume you weren't going to add a native
method and a .so library to the standalone tomcat distribution :-)

Adding capability to StatusServlet to report arbitrary mbean attributes
would make this feature easy to add ( there is some code in
JmxProxyServlet - but it it would be much better if integrated and made
consistent with the status servlet ).

For the JNI + mbean implementation - it may be better to use a separate
component ( I don't see why it would be specific in any way to tomcat -
any jmx-based app could use this ). There are several other OS-specific
informations of interest ( including in Windows ), JMX is designed
exactly for this - to expose management info for different systems.

Costin