Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by "Farr, Aaron" <Aa...@am.sony.com> on 2003/11/17 18:30:44 UTC

IRC instead? (WAS: reducing dependency on me)

A better solution might be an Avalon IRC channel on freenode.net?  Don't a
couple of the other apache groups use IRC from time to time?  I always
wondered why we didn't have a channel.  We could even archive the logs if we
don't want to lose the 'valuable' information such chatter generates. :)

J. Aaron Farr
  SONY ELECTRONICS
  DDP-CIM
  (724) 696-7653

Re: IRC instead? (WAS: reducing dependency on me)

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Farr, Aaron wrote:

> [...]

If we go this direction - then I think archiving is *mandatory* and that
automated posting of archives list links to the dev list is also a
prereq - it just too easy to slip into two groups - those that IRC and
those that track the list. The list IMOP should be an authorative source
of what is happening in the Avalon world.

Cheers, Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org

Re: IRC instead? (WAS: reducing dependency on me)

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Tuesday 18 November 2003 17:01, Eric Pugh wrote:
> Well, the irc.werken.com resolves to irc.codehaus.org, and there is logging
> for some of the channels.  So, theoretically we could do that as well.  I
> think that, while irc logs may be a pain, I think more private emails are
> going on then we realize..  Just because it can be much faster.  I wouldn't
> mind hanging out on IRC as well (especially as I discovered Trillian has
> nice support, and I don't need another client!)

I'm gaim on almost any form of communications, as long as;

1. Net result is compiled to mailing list. (I wouldn't bother reading logs,
where 90% will be meaningless). Stuff discussed that is not compiled, never
happened, just like private mails.

2. It doesn't require some odd client. Now "odd" is different for everyone.
Gaim (my IM client) says it supports almost everything, incl IRC, but I
haven't managed to connect though. Give me a Channel name, and I see if I can
get there ;o)

Cheers,
Niclas

RE: IRC instead? (WAS: reducing dependency on me)

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@upstate.com>.
Well, the irc.werken.com resolves to irc.codehaus.org, and there is logging
for some of the channels.  So, theoretically we could do that as well.  I
think that, while irc logs may be a pain, I think more private emails are
going on then we realize..  Just because it can be much faster.  I wouldn't
mind hanging out on IRC as well (especially as I discovered Trillian has
nice support, and I don't need another client!)

Eric

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> > A better solution might be an Avalon IRC channel on freenode.net?

We have plenty of Apache channels on freenode.  Sure.  Someone should
register an avalon channel.  If done, the PMC should be e-mailed information
about the channel admin.

And I agree about channel logging.  I'd want to see a nightly digest mailed
to the list.  But, people should be notified when entering the room that it
is logged.

	--- Noel

Re: IRC instead? (WAS: reducing dependency on me)

Posted by peter royal <pr...@pace2020.com>.

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
strong -0 on IRC for any kind of development. Knowledge is lost,
participation across timezones is very difficult. You essentially shut
out at least a third of the world from the most active form of
participation. Furthermore, reading IRC logs is a pain, so it doesn't
happen.

It just spells trouble.

That said, casual chatter can be fun, and many people do like
brainstorming on IRC.

- LSD