Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Hasan Yusuf <ha...@gmail.com> on 2009/03/24 05:24:23 UTC

New Committer

Hi,
I would like to start contributing to the Hadoop Project. I am very much new
to JIRA so I am not sure how the assignment of bugs work. Looking over all
the outstanding issues, I would like to work on issue
*HADOOP-4802*<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-4802>.
Can this be assigned to me?

Thanks.

Re: New Committer

Posted by Pradeep Fernando <pr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Hasan,

I would like to start contributing to the Hadoop Project

 welcome to the hadoop.

AFAIK issues cannot be assigned to you since you are not commiter(i guess).
you can comment on the issue like,
"work started by usuf " to show the community that you are working on it.
After that you have solved the issue
you have to submit a patch ,so that a commiter can go through the review
process and apply it.

read some guides about apache development process to more details.

cheers,
Pradeep Fernando.

Re: New Committer

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
Hasan Yusuf wrote:
> I would like to start contributing to the Hadoop Project. I am very much new
> to JIRA so I am not sure how the assignment of bugs work. Looking over all
> the outstanding issues, I would like to work on issue
> *HADOOP-4802*<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-4802>.
> Can this be assigned to me?

We generally assign issues to folks once they've submitted a patch.  In
particular, when an issue is committed, it is assigned to the primary
author of the patch, to give them credit for it.  So once you've
attached a patch, a committer should assign the issue to you.

For more information about contributing, see:

Doug