Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Chris <Ch...@011005.com> on 2007/12/20 16:57:25 UTC

Is this a wiildcard ?

Hi,

Just looking through the SA setup on a couple of my accounts, and notice
in the email filters, that this is in place :

Destination
$header_subject: contains "*"  Discard

Isn't * a wildcard ?  Wouldn't that rule above discard all emails ?

Chris.

Re: Is this a wiildcard ?

Posted by Matthias Haegele <mh...@linuxrocks.dyndns.org>.
Theo Van Dinter schrieb:
> On Thu, Dec 20, 2007 at 04:57:25PM +0100, Chris wrote:
>> Just looking through the SA setup on a couple of my accounts, and notice
>> in the email filters, that this is in place :
>>
>> Destination
>> $header_subject: contains "*"  Discard
>>
>> Isn't * a wildcard ?  Wouldn't that rule above discard all emails ?
>
> That isn't from a SpamAssassin config, so the meaning isn't clear.  "*" is a
> glob character, so could mean "anything".  In regexp "*" means 0 or more of
> the thing proceeding it, which is nothing, so it's not valid regexp.  It could
> also just mean the character "*".
>
> You'd really need to look at the docs for what you're actually looking at to
> find out what it means.

Perhaps header_subject is used in exim?
Some People might mark Spam mails as "*Spam" but only "*" makes no sense
for me ...

but thats only a guess ...

--
Gruesse/Greetings
MH

Dont send mail to: ubecatcher@linuxrocks.dyndns.org

Re: Is this a wiildcard ?

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Dec 20, 2007 at 04:57:25PM +0100, Chris wrote:
> Just looking through the SA setup on a couple of my accounts, and notice
> in the email filters, that this is in place :
>
> Destination
> $header_subject: contains "*"  Discard
>
> Isn't * a wildcard ?  Wouldn't that rule above discard all emails ?

That isn't from a SpamAssassin config, so the meaning isn't clear.  "*" is a
glob character, so could mean "anything".  In regexp "*" means 0 or more of
the thing proceeding it, which is nothing, so it's not valid regexp.  It could
also just mean the character "*".

You'd really need to look at the docs for what you're actually looking at to
find out what it means.

--
Randomly Selected Tagline:
"the curls in your keyboard cord are losing electricity."