Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by "Dan Mahoney, System Admin" <da...@prime.gushi.org> on 2005/03/04 21:18:10 UTC

Forcing spamd child to abort

Is there a way to force a spamd child to abort and return a message
unprocessed after...

a) a certain amount of cpu time.

b) a certain amount of realtime (60 seconds?)

I've had a couple of "spamd child" processes drive my load average through
the roof, force sendmail to shut down, and screw things up good until
they were manually killed.

I would also LOVE to see a way to view at a glance what spamd children are
processing what message for who, similar to apache's server-status page.

-Dan Mahoney

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.
At 03:18 PM 3/4/2005, Dan Mahoney, System Admin wrote:
>Is there a way to force a spamd child to abort and return a message
>unprocessed after...
>
>a) a certain amount of cpu time.
>
>b) a certain amount of realtime (60 seconds?)

MailScanner calls SA at the API layer attempts to do b), unfortunately,
this is better in theory than in practice as it wreaks havok on SA's bayes
auto-expiry.

The same fundamental problem applies to spamd, and to both a) and b)...
SA's per-message computation time gets huge when an expiry run kicks in..