Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by ByteFlinger <by...@gmail.com> on 2012/07/23 14:09:48 UTC

How does activeMQ handles expiration?

I am trying to find out information on how activeMQ handles expiration but it
has been difficult to find details.

I found some old threads that mention that there is no constant process in
activeMQ which moves expired messages from a queue to activeMQ.DLQ but only
when messages are read/written to that queue but I also have read
http://activemq.apache.org/manage-durable-subscribers.html here  that there
seems to, maybe, be a way to tell activeMQ to, every x seconds, look for
expired messages.

My own tests seem to show that, most of the time, only when the queue is
read (not written to) the expiration will happen however sometimes some
messages expire without anything happening.

Can anybody shed some light on the issue? How and when does activeMQ check
for expired messages and moves them from a queue to activeMQ.DLQ queue?

Regards
Byte

Re: How does activeMQ handles expiration?

Posted by ByteFlinger <by...@gmail.com>.
This must be what causes some messages to expire then but if that's the case
then it does not seem to be working entirely.

I am testing by sending 150 messages with a long ttl (10 minutes) and 150
with short (20 seconds) and I keep refreshing the queue, I see some messages
go to DLQ but out of all 300 messages, 270 just sit there forever until a
consumer is able to read all messages.

Is there something that prevents more messages from being expired?

Re: How does activeMQ handles expiration?

Posted by Gary Tully <ga...@gmail.com>.
have a read of the comments on
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AMQ-1112 to get some more
insight.

there is now an expiry task that periodically checks for expiry, along
with the checks on send and dispatch

http://fusesource.com
http://blog.garytully.com