Posted to batik-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Neeme Praks <ne...@one.ee> on 2001/05/15 19:17:02 UTC

which API?

Simple question: if I want to output (SVG) grahics from Java, using Batik,
which API should I use? What is the "user-friendliest" API? Probably not DOM
tree? :-)

An overview of the different packages would be extremely helpful... for
example, what does GVT stand for? And what is it used for?
Maybe there is something like the GLF, etc (Vincent should know what is GLF
:-))?

Neeme

Re: which API?

Posted by Vincent Hardy <vh...@eng.sun.com>.
Neeme,

Neeme Praks wrote:

> Simple question: if I want to output (SVG) grahics from Java, using Batik,
> which API should I use? What is the "user-friendliest" API? Probably not DOM
> tree? :-)

>From a Java program, you can use the SVGGraphics2D generator:

org.apache.batik.svggen.SVGGraphics2D

which is described at:

http://xml.apache.org/batik/batik-1.0Staging/svggen.html

> An overview of the different packages would be extremely helpful... for
> example, what does GVT stand for? And what is it used for?

See:

http://xml.apache.org/batik/batik-1.0Staging/architecture.html
http://xml.apache.org/batik/batik-1.0Staging/glossary.html

> Maybe there is something like the GLF, etc (Vincent should know what is GLF
> :-))?

Yes, you are right and I see you've been doing some reading :-), GVT
has similarities with GLF , but there are also some core differences
(e.g., text is much more sophisticated in GVT, there was a notion of
Position in GLF and there is not equivalent in GVT etc...).

Vincent.