Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Janet Campbell <ja...@eclipse.org> on 2007/12/20 21:50:28 UTC

RE: Field of use constraint on OSOA license?

We have been in touch with the OSOA folks and the license restriction
referred to below has now been removed.

Janet Campbell
Legal Counsel & Manager, Intellectual Property
Eclipse Foundation Inc.

Posted by Mike Edwards <mi...@gmail.com>.
Folks,

Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
> no performance rights so i guess that we'll have to strike out the
> sing-a-long-a-spec from the next apachecon ;-)
Done to protect the innocent  ;-)

Yours,  Mike.

Re: Field of use constraint on OSOA license?

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 7, 2008 9:58 PM, Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org> wrote:
> There is an updated license here:
>    http://www.osoa.org/xmlns/sca/1.0/license.txt
>
> and I've attached a copy of the text below. To my layman's
> understanding that seems OK but it would be good to have official
> blessing.
>
> Thanks Janet for getting this through.

no performance rights so i guess that we'll have to strike out the
sing-a-long-a-spec from the next apachecon ;-)

looks good to me: thanks to everyone who sorted this out

might be a good idea raising this on legal discuss so that it can be
included in the third party licensing policy draft

- robert

Re: Field of use constraint on OSOA license?

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <rd...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 2008-01-07 at 21:58 +0000, Jeremy Boynes wrote:
> There is an updated license here:
>    http://www.osoa.org/xmlns/sca/1.0/license.txt
>
> and I've attached a copy of the text below. To my layman's
> understanding that seems OK but it would be good to have official
> blessing.

looks fine to me. unless i've missed anything, i'd be happy this add to
category A in http://people.apache.org/~rubys/3party.html.

- robert

Re: Field of use constraint on OSOA license?

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.

--
Jeremy

On Jan 7, 2008, at 3:56 PM, Janet Campbell wrote:

> Yes, my understanding is that the new version of the license has
> now been
> posted.
>
> Janet Campbell
> Phone:  +1.613.224.9461, x.229 (GMT -5)
> Fax:  +1.613.224.5172
> janet.campbell@eclipse.org

License for the Service Component Architecture JavaDoc, Interface
Definition files and XSD files.

The Service Component Architecture JavaDoc, Interface Definition files,
and XSD files are being provided by the copyright holders under the
following license. By using and/or copying this work, you agree that
you have read, understood and will comply with the following terms and
conditions:

Permission to copy, display, make derivative works of, and distribute
the Service Component Architecture JavaDoc, Interface Definition Files
and XSD files (the "Artifacts") in any medium without fee or royalty is
hereby granted, provided that you include the following on ALL copies
of the Artifacts, or portions thereof, that you make:

1. A link or URL to the Artifacts at this location:
http://www.osoa.org/display/Main/Service+Component+Architecture
+Specifications

2. The full text of this copyright notice as shown in the Artifacts.

THE ARTIFACTS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS," AND THE AUTHORS MAKE NO
REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, REGARDING THE
ARTIFACTS AND THE IMPLEMENTATION OF THEIR CONTENTS, INCLUDING, BUT NOT
LIMITED TO, WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
PURPOSE, NON-INFRINGEMENT OR TITLE.

THE AUTHORS WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, SPECIAL,
INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF OR RELATING TO ANY
USE OR DISTRIBUTION OF THE ARTIFACTS.

The name and trademarks of the Authors may NOT be used in any manner,
including advertising or publicity pertaining to the Service Component
Architecture Specification or its contents without specific, written
prior permission. Title to copyright in the Service Component
Architecture Specification and the JavaDoc, Interface Definition Files
and XSD Files will at all times remain with the Authors.

No other rights are granted by implication, estoppel or otherwise.

Revision level 1.1, last updated on 2007/11/19

Re: Field of use constraint on OSOA license?

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.
There is an updated license here:
   http://www.osoa.org/xmlns/sca/1.0/license.txt

and I've attached a copy of the text below. To my layman's
understanding that seems OK but it would be good to have official
blessing.

Thanks Janet for getting this through.
--
Jeremy

On Jan 7, 2008, at 3:56 PM, Janet Campbell wrote:

> Yes, my understanding is that the new version of the license has
> now been
> posted.
>
> Janet Campbell
> Phone:  +1.613.224.9461, x.229 (GMT -5)
> Fax:  +1.613.224.5172
> janet.campbell@eclipse.org

----------------------------
Registered Number: 171387

RE: Field of use constraint on OSOA license?

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
Seems like we need to ensure the next release has the updated licenses
in it. Thanks for helping to sort this out Jeremy!

Paul

On Dec 21, 2007 11:50 AM, Oisin Hurley <oh...@iona.com> wrote:
> > The updated license files are published on the OSOA site:
> >
> > http://www.osoa.org/xmlns/sca/1.0/license.txt
> >
> > and
> >
> > http://www.osoa.org/sdo/2.1/schemas/license.txt
>
> Thanks for the update, Mike. I couldn't find the update on the
> site but I see now that you've made a Latest News entry with the
> updated links. One more for the RSS reader.
>

>   best regards
>    Oisin

Paul Fremantle
OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
paul@wso2.com

Re: Field of use constraint on OSOA license?

Posted by Oisin Hurley <oh...@iona.com>.

Posted by Mike Edwards <mi...@gmail.com>.
Oisin,

Posted by Oisin Hurley <oh...@iona.com>.