Posted to user@openmeetings.apache.org by Tom Wagner <tw...@snarkboojum.com> on 2016/07/29 16:51:09 UTC

Equivocal Results from Network Testing Applet

I get results from the link on the OM login spalsh which are widely at
variance with upload, download and other stats posted by other
browser-based utilites like Ookla and TestMySpeed.  Is this feature in
face working, and if so what exactly does it measure? ...

  * the speeds between the OM server and the client browser?
  * the speeds between the client and the web at large?

My main concern is that number posted by the OM test seem very
pessimistic vs connectivity number for a given clients general internet
connectivity.  E.g. A webinar participant with Comcast cable reports
upload/download number of 3/18Mbps from Ookla.   The OM test executed
within 5 minutes of the Ookla test posts 0.34 / 1.52Mbps.

At other client sites, quite frequently, the upload and download
proportions are dramatically reversed.  E.g. 3/18Mbps Ookla vs
4.2/1.3Mbps OM.

Any guidance would be appreciated, as I am trying to establish and easy
method that potential webinar participants can qualify their internet
hookups to set expectations for their webinar experience.

Cheers,
         Tom Wagner, Jackson Orthopedic Foundation IT

Re: Equivocal Results from Network Testing Applet

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
Actually it measures how fast Adobe Flash client can
download/upload binary data
The test is "synthetic" random set of bytes is being uploaded/dowloaded

I can point you to the source code of these tests, maybe you can give me
the hint how this can be improved

--
WBR
Maxim aka solomax