Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Tobias Adamson <to...@stargazer.com.sg> on 2016/03/08 09:06:51 UTC

Error for Kafka / Topic has not leader and can't be listed with kaka-topic --describe

Hi
I posted this to IRC but maybe someone here has seen this before

Hello
I'm having some weird issues with kafka 0.9 and can't find anythign in jira
I'm running Kafka inside Docker/Kubernets
All works fine when I deploy But after a while I get the following in the publisher

WARN: Error while fetching metadata [{TopicMetadata for topic TRANSACTION_EXPORT ->  No partition metadata for topic TRANSACTION_EXPORT due to kafka.common.LeaderNotAvailableException}] for topic [TRANSACTION_EXPORT]: class kafka.common.LeaderNotAvailableException  ERROR: Failed to collate messages by topic, partition due to: Failed to fetch topic metadata for topic: TRANSACTION_EXPORT

And when I look at kafka I see the following in the logs (repeated many times)

[2016-03-08 07:53:59,027] INFO [Group Metadata Manager on Broker 3]: Removed 0 expired offsets in 0 milliseconds. (kafka.coordinator.GroupMetadataManager)
I can’t see anything related to the TRANSACTION_EXPORT in the logs

Additionaly when I do ./bin/kafka-topics.sh --zookeeper zookeeper-1 --describe

Error while executing topic command : next on empty iterator
[2016-03-08 15:59:25,784] ERROR java.util.NoSuchElementException: next on empty iterator
	at scala.collection.Iterator$$anon$2.next(Iterator.scala:39)
	at scala.collection.Iterator$$anon$2.next(Iterator.scala:37)
	at scala.collection.IterableLike$class.head(IterableLike.scala:91)
	at scala.collection.AbstractIterable.head(Iterable.scala:54)
	at kafka.admin.TopicCommand$$anonfun$describeTopic$1.apply(TopicCommand.scala:198)
	at kafka.admin.TopicCommand$$anonfun$describeTopic$1.apply(TopicCommand.scala:188)
	at scala.collection.mutable.ResizableArray$class.foreach(ResizableArray.scala:59)
	at scala.collection.mutable.ArrayBuffer.foreach(ArrayBuffer.scala:47)
	at kafka.admin.TopicCommand$.describeTopic(TopicCommand.scala:188)
	at kafka.admin.TopicCommand$.main(TopicCommand.scala:66)
	at kafka.admin.TopicCommand.main(TopicCommand.scala)
 (kafka.admin.TopicCommand$)

If I delete the topic and recreate it then it will work for a while again.
Other topics are listed fine.