Posted to small-events-discuss@apache.org by Robert Burrell Donkin <rd...@apache.org> on 2011/09/20 14:11:32 UTC

Potential Opportunities at The National Media Museum

The National Media Museum[1] (NMM) boasts over 500,000 visitors a
year[2] and is just about the only good thing left in my home city of
Bradford. AIUI the NMM plans a major programme on the Internet (and IT)
in 2012 including Open Source (and Free Software).

Not sure whether this is the right place to throw ideas around (please
jump in and correct me when I err) but I'll make a start anyway...

All very early days but I wondered about pitching for:

  * BarCampApacheNationalMediaMuseum
  * An Apache track, perhaps a little like GotoCon (if an open source
conference happens)

Opinions? Other Ideas? Improvements? Objections? Alternatives?

Robert

[1] http://www.nationalmediamuseum.org.uk/
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Media_Museum

Re: Potential Opportunities at The National Media Museum

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <rd...@apache.org>.
On 09/20/11 14:28, Nick Burch wrote:
> On 20/09/11 13:11, Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
>> All very early days but I wondered about pitching for:
>>
>> * BarCampApacheNationalMediaMuseum
>
> This is certainly a possibility (though the name is a bit long for a
> hashtag!).

Suggestions welcome :-)

> I'd suggest you start asking around the Bradford geek scene
> and see if you can drum up some more local organisers - having enough
> people on the ground is key to making these sorts of things work.

I don't expect this to be a problem

Also @imran and @cubicgarden live within easy travel

> Once/if you've got enough organisers, best bet is to approach the museum
> about the idea, and if they're interested then we can work with them and
> your organising team to put together a proposal

I'm excited by the idea of running an open BarCamp within a working
national museum, and love the idea of taking part in living cultural
exhibit. On the other hand, it is worth noting that doing anything a
little new and potentially high profile is risky. Not to say that that's
a bad thing, just that it needs to be said before people start going off
and doing lots of work...

>> * An Apache track, perhaps a little like GotoCon (if an open source
>> conference happens)
>
> If there's a suitable event going to happen, then it's very likely we
> could work something out. Are you able to keep an eye out for what
> events they're planning, in case there is a suitable event?

I'm not sure how much of what may - or may not - happen is public ATM.
By waiting until it is, we may lose our chance to get involved.

Would it be best to take this to a private list?

And if so, which one

Robert

Re: Potential Opportunities at The National Media Museum

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@apache.org>.
On 20/09/11 13:11, Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
> All very early days but I wondered about pitching for:
>
> * BarCampApacheNationalMediaMuseum

This is certainly a possibility (though the name is a bit long for a
hashtag!). I'd suggest you start asking around the Bradford geek scene
and see if you can drum up some more local organisers - having enough
people on the ground is key to making these sorts of things work.

Once/if you've got enough organisers, best bet is to approach the museum
about the idea, and if they're interested then we can work with them and
your organising team to put together a proposal

> * An Apache track, perhaps a little like GotoCon (if an open source
> conference happens)

If there's a suitable event going to happen, then it's very likely we
could work something out. Are you able to keep an eye out for what
events they're planning, in case there is a suitable event?

Cheers
Nick