Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Neha Narkhede <ne...@gmail.com> on 2011/11/30 00:22:44 UTC

Unit test failure

Hi,

I moved to linux and one unit test consistently fails -

[error] Test Failed: testCleanupExpiredSegments
junit.framework.AssertionFailedError: Now there should only be only one
segment. expected:<1> but was:<12>
    at junit.framework.Assert.failNotEquals(Assert.java:277)
    at junit.framework.Assert.assertEquals(Assert.java:64)
    at junit.framework.Assert.assertEquals(Assert.java:195)
    at
kafka.log.LogManagerTest.testCleanupExpiredSegments(LogManagerTest.scala:87)
    at
    at
    at
org.junit.internal.runners.TestMethodRunner.executeMethodBody(TestMethodRunner.java:99)
    at
org.junit.internal.runners.TestMethodRunner.runUnprotected(TestMethodRunner.java:81)
    at
org.junit.internal.runners.BeforeAndAfterRunner.runProtected(BeforeAndAfterRunner.java:34)
    at
org.junit.internal.runners.TestMethodRunner.runMethod(TestMethodRunner.java:75)
    at
org.junit.internal.runners.TestMethodRunner.run(TestMethodRunner.java:45)
    at
org.junit.internal.runners.TestClassMethodsRunner.invokeTestMethod(TestClassMethodsRunner.java:71)
    at
org.junit.internal.runners.TestClassMethodsRunner.run(TestClassMethodsRunner.java:35)
    at
org.junit.internal.runners.TestClassRunner$1.runUnprotected(TestClassRunner.java:42)
    at
org.junit.internal.runners.BeforeAndAfterRunner.runProtected(BeforeAndAfterRunner.java:34)
    at
org.junit.internal.runners.TestClassRunner.run(TestClassRunner.java:52)
    at
org.junit.internal.runners.CompositeRunner.run(CompositeRunner.java:29)
    at org.junit.runner.JUnitCore.run(JUnitCore.java:121)
    at org.junit.runner.JUnitCore.run(JUnitCore.java:100)
    at org.junit.runner.JUnitCore.run(JUnitCore.java:91)
    at org.scalatest.junit.JUnitSuite$class.run(JUnitSuite.scala:261)
    at kafka.log.LogManagerTest.run(LogManagerTest.scala:28)
    at
org.scalatest.tools.ScalaTestFramework$ScalaTestRunner.run(ScalaTestFramework.scala:40)
    at sbt.TestRunner.run(TestFramework.scala:53)
    at sbt.TestRunner.runTest$1(TestFramework.scala:67)
    at sbt.TestRunner.run(TestFramework.scala:76)
    at
sbt.TestFramework$$anonfun$10$$anonfun$apply$11.runTest$2(TestFramework.scala:194)
    at
sbt.TestFramework$$anonfun$10$$anonfun$apply$11$$anonfun$apply$12.apply(TestFramework.scala:205)
    at
sbt.TestFramework$$anonfun$10$$anonfun$apply$11$$anonfun$apply$12.apply(TestFramework.scala:205)
    at sbt.NamedTestTask.run(TestFramework.scala:92)
    at
sbt.ScalaProject$$anonfun$sbt$ScalaProject$$toTask$1.apply(ScalaProject.scala:193)
    at
sbt.ScalaProject$$anonfun$sbt$ScalaProject$$toTask$1.apply(ScalaProject.scala:193)
    at sbt.TaskManager$Task.invoke(TaskManager.scala:62)
    at sbt.impl.RunTask.doRun$1(RunTask.scala:77)
    at sbt.impl.RunTask.runTask(RunTask.scala:85)
    at sbt.impl.RunTask.sbt$impl$RunTask$$runIfNotRoot(RunTask.scala:60)
    at
sbt.impl.RunTask$$anonfun$runTasksExceptRoot$2.apply(RunTask.scala:48)
    at
sbt.impl.RunTask$$anonfun$runTasksExceptRoot$2.apply(RunTask.scala:48)
    at sbt.Distributor$Run$Worker$$anonfun$2.apply(ParallelRunner.scala:131)
    at sbt.Distributor$Run$Worker$$anonfun$2.apply(ParallelRunner.scala:131)
    at sbt.Control$.trapUnit(Control.scala:19)
    at sbt.Distributor$Run$Worker.run(ParallelRunner.scala:131)

Wanted to check if others run into this as well ?

Thanks,
Neha

Re: Unit test failure

Posted by Chris Burroughs <ch...@gmail.com>.
On 11/30/2011 01:02 AM, Jay Kreps wrote:
> I think this is one of the core problems of this type of system--how to do
> good, realistic distributed testing. I have not seen anyone really succeed
> except via the "throw production load at it and see" approach so I would be
> interested to hear people's thoughts.

Cassandra has the same problem and has gone through several iterations
of distributed test systems.  The most recent is here:
https://github.com/riptano/cassandra-dtest  Time will tell if this
attempt is more successful.  The obvious prerequisite for something like
this is a set of scripts that make it easy to set up Kafka clusters of
different topologies for testing.

Another thing they do well is having a solid stress/perf tool
distributed with releases, everyone agrees it gives decent results, easy
to hack if you want to test something slightly different and thus it's
widely used.

Re: Unit test failure

Posted by Jay Kreps <ja...@gmail.com>.
+1

I think one of the problems we have had is the difficulty of "mocking"
zookeeper. I.e. zk is a complicated enough thing that unless you run
against the real thing it is unclear what you are really testing.

But I agree that these very complex junit tests that bring up the whole
server and contain all kinds of sleep statements and timing assumptions are
very problematic.

One solution would be to concentrate on a seperate approach to integration
tests that drive off the command line utilities rather than junit. The
problem with junit integration tests is they tend to be both fragile and
unrealistic. Full integration tests that actually bring up brokers may be
fragile but at least are 100% realistic. These could be separated out and
run against a dedicated hw pool and used for a set of performance and
correctness scenarios.

I think this is one of the core problems of this type of system--how to do
good, realistic distributed testing. I have not seen anyone really succeed
except via the "throw production load at it and see" approach so I would be
interested to hear people's thoughts.

-Jay

Re: Unit test failure

Posted by Neha Narkhede <ne...@gmail.com>.
Wierd. I keep getting failure on kafka.log.LogManagerTest on my machine,
even on a fresh checkout of Kafka.

nnarkhed-ld:trunk nnarkhed$ uname -r
2.6.32-131.4.1.el6.x86_64

I will go ahead and file a bug to fix this test. I would encourage the rest
of you to do the same for the failures you see, even better provide patches
!

Thanks,
Neha

Re: Unit test failure