Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Steve Veltman <sv...@ducks.org> on 2003/08/22 19:25:54 UTC

newbie needs help - root context not working with apache

I am running Tomcat 4.1.27 with Apache 2.0.47, using the jk2 2.0.43 connector and j2sdk 1.4.2  I connected Tomcat to Apache using the instructions at

http://www.gregoire.org/howto/Apache2_Jk2_TC4.1.x_JSDK1.4.x.html

I can open  localhost/examples/servlet/HelloWorldExample

If I move HelloWorldExample.class into the ROOT contexts WEB-INF folder, I can open it using

localhost:8080/servlet/Hello...

but I cannot open it using

localhost/servlet/Hello...

The Tomcat Root Context section in server.xml has been uncommented, but that hasn't helped.

I NEED this to work, but I really don't know how to get this new Tomcat version to do it.  What am I missing?  Can anyone point me to documentation where this is covered?

Re: newbie needs help - root context not working with apache

Posted by John Turner <to...@johnturner.com>.
It's not working for a couple reasons, not least of which there is no
servlet mapping in ROOT's web.xml file, and no entry for the default
Invoker.

Also, you haven't told us how you changed your JK2 properties file to
match the new URL, that is, if you did so (you need to).

Sooo...maybe you can repost with a little more detail about what it is
that you want to do, what URL you want to use, etc.  You might also
consider not using Apache and JK2 at all...its not required.

John