Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Brian Heston <br...@msn.com> on 2001/01/08 06:11:38 UTC

Service or Embedded Use

I need to use Tomcat as a Windows service and have it keep running when a
user logs off.  Unfortunately the downloadable file in the win32 directory
doesn't support logging off.

I have been playing with that code and some other Java / Native programs and
can not get Tomcat to start.  I'm very close but it appears that I'm not
calling the startup class correctly or something along those lines.

I also ran across the EmbededTomcat (it's spelled incorrectly) class in the
org.apache.tomcat.startup package.

I'm wondering if anyone has gotten Tomcat to run as real service or has used
the Embedded class and what your experience was with everything.

Re: Service or Embedded Use

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <Ro...@appleonline.net>.

Brian Heston wrote:

> I need to use Tomcat as a Windows service and have it keep running when a
> user logs off.  Unfortunately the downloadable file in the win32 directory
> doesn't support logging off.

why not run apache as a service and use that to startup tomcat as and when it's
needed!

- robert