Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Raja Nagendra Kumar <Na...@tejasoft.com> on 2011/07/02 06:01:16 UTC

Need for output key and value explicit api level setting

Hi,

In the Definitive Guide in page 32, I see these lines

conf.setOutputKeyClass(Text.class);
conf.setOutputValueClass(IntWritable.class);

Is this good to such explicit setting of the output format in configuration
or with in reduce method it self.
Also, such explicit setting may not be needed at all as the context object
knows what is the kind of data it has i.e because in reducer we are already
saying

context.write(key, new IntWritable(maxValue));

Regards,
Raja Nagendra Kumar,
C.T.O
www.tejasoft.com