Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> on 2013/09/14 15:14:28 UTC

Re: FOSDEM 2014

On 23/08/2013 Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> On 22/08/2013 RA Stehmann wrote:
>> I'm planning a stand at FOSDEM 2014. If nobody contradicts, I'll
>> register a Stand for Apache OpenOffice, when this registration will be
>> open.
> Very good, and I can take instead care of submitting the devroom request
> by the September 15 deadline.

Posting it here for a quick review, then I'll submit it to FOSDEM. It's
largely an updated version of  the FOSDEM 2013 request.

* Devroom name: Apache OpenOffice

* Description

Apache OpenOffice, formerly known as OpenOffice.org, is one of the most
popular Free and Open Source software projects. A Top Level Project at
the Apache Software Foundation since October 2012, OpenOffice had a
new major release, version 4.0, in July 2013, and more than 50 million
downloads in the last 12 months. OpenOffice is developed by a large and
diverse community, including full-time and part-time core developers,
translators, testers, user experience experts, documentation
contributors, developers of third-party extensions and templates.

* Project URLs
- http://www.openoffice.org
- http://openoffice.apache.org

* Preferred day: Saturday or Sunday
- Saturday

* Why should FOSDEM accept this proposal?

The OpenOffice project is now back to a regular release schedule, is
attracting new volunteers and is now able to successfully engage them,
also by participating in programs like Google's Summer of Code.

An Apache OpenOffice devroom would allow existing volunteers to meet
and discuss future developments, and users and potential new volunteers
to learn how they can help the project, thanks to presentations and
hacking sessions spanning a broad range of topics.

Topics that may be interesting for FOSDEM 2014 include: the new user
interface, the Sidebar, and the possibilities it offers to developers;
the new localization process; the automated testing framework; progress
towards a more modern build system.

The Apache OpenOffice project is willing to consider a possible
suggestion by the organizers for a joint "ODF editors" devroom,
dedicated to Apache OpenOffice and to the other Free and Open Source
editors using OpenDocument as their native format.

> For reference, the FOSDEM 2013 materials are at
> http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Conferences/FOSDEM/2013

And I started a (mostly empty, so far) page for FOSDEM 2014 at
http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Conferences/FOSDEM/2014

Regards,
   Andrea.