Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org> on 2004/02/21 16:20:20 UTC

[VOTE] move to saxon 7 xslt processor

thanks to a suggestion from the list, i finally gave saxon 7.8 a try,
and it works great. considering that xalan-j and xsltc both have
numerous issues, and each new xalan version has introduced new bugs, i
propose we move to saxon as the default processor, and add saxon 7.8 to
   cvs.

saxon is available from http://saxon.sourceforge.net/saxon7.8/index.html
, is licensed under the MPL, and needs the following changes in

cocoon.xconf
============
<component
   role="org.apache.cocoon.components.xslt.XSLTProcessor/Saxon"
   class="org.apache.cocoon.components.xslt.XSLTProcessorImpl"
   logger="core.xslt-processor-Saxon">
   <parameter name="use-store" value="true"/>
   <parameter name="incremental-processing" value="false"/>
   <parameter name="transformer-factory"
    value="net.sf.saxon.TransformerFactoryImpl"/>
</component>

global-sitemap.xmap and sitemap.xmap
====================================

<map:transformers default="saxon">

<map:transformer logger="sitemap.transformer.xslt" name="saxon"
   pool-grow="2" pool-max="32" pool-min="8"
   src="org.apache.cocoon.transformation.TraxTransformer">
   <use-request-parameters>false</use-request-parameters>
   <use-session-parameters>false</use-session-parameters>
   <use-cookie-parameters>false</use-cookie-parameters>
<transformer-factory>net.sf.saxon.TransformerFactoryImpl</transformer-factory>
</map:transformer>

saxon has other benefits besides having fewer bugs:

* verbose error messages, aiding xslt debugging
* xslt 2.0, xpath 2.0, xquery 1.0 support

here is my +1

--
Gregor J. Rothfuss
http://wyona.com                   http://cocoon.apache.org/lenya

Re: [VOTE] move to saxon 7 xslt processor

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
On 21 Feb 2004, at 19:21, Gianugo Rabellino wrote:

> AFAIK the 2.0 license didn't change a thing about what licenses can be
> used inside Apache projects. I might well be wrong, but I think that
> MPL 1.0 is still out of question here (MPL 1.1 isn't).

Yep. And the Saxon license isn't likely to change since it is (c) ICL,
a former employer of Michael where he now apparently can't track down a
legal peep to move the (c) to Michael himself.

It's sad, but alas.

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: [VOTE] move to saxon 7 xslt processor

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@apache.org>.
Michael Wechner wrote:
> Gianugo Rabellino wrote:
>  is licensed under
>
>>> the MPL, and needs the following changes
>>

>> AFAIK Saxon is licensed with the non-ASF compatible MPL, so this might
>> be a no-no.
>

> is this the case for Apache License 1.1 and 2.0 ?

AFAIK the 2.0 license didn't change a thing about what licenses can be
used inside Apache projects. I might well be wrong, but I think that MPL
1.0 is still out of question here (MPL 1.1 isn't).

Ciao,

--
Gianugo Rabellino

Re: [VOTE] move to saxon 7 xslt processor

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Gianugo Rabellino wrote:
  is licensed under
>> the MPL, and needs the following changes
>

> AFAIK Saxon is licensed with the non-ASF compatible MPL, so this might
> be a no-no.

is this the case for Apache License 1.1 and 2.0 ?

Thanks

Michi

  Also, keep in mind that it's JDK 1.4 only: I don't know if

--
Michael Wechner

Re: [VOTE] move to saxon 7 xslt processor

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@apache.org>.
Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:

> thanks to a suggestion from the list, i finally gave saxon 7.8 a try,
> and it works great. considering that xalan-j and xsltc both have
> numerous issues, and each new xalan version has introduced new bugs, i
> propose we move to saxon as the default processor, and add saxon 7.8 to
>   cvs.
>
> saxon is available from http://saxon.sourceforge.net/saxon7.8/index.html
> , is licensed under the MPL, and needs the following changes

AFAIK Saxon is licensed with the non-ASF compatible MPL, so this might
be a no-no. Also, keep in mind that it's JDK 1.4 only: I don't know if

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
Rolf Kulemann wrote:

> +1 from me, if we do not need to care about jdk<1.4 compatibility.

lenya requires jdk 1.4 already

Posted by Rolf Kulemann <ro...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 2004-02-21 at 16:20, Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:
> thanks to a suggestion from the list, i finally gave saxon 7.8 a try,
> and it works great. considering that xalan-j and xsltc both have
> numerous issues, and each new xalan version has introduced new bugs, i
> propose we move to saxon as the default processor, and add saxon 7.8 to
>    cvs.
>
> saxon is available from http://saxon.sourceforge.net/saxon7.8/index.html
> , is licensed under the MPL, and needs the following changes in
>
> cocoon.xconf
> ============
> <component
>    role="org.apache.cocoon.components.xslt.XSLTProcessor/Saxon"
>    class="org.apache.cocoon.components.xslt.XSLTProcessorImpl"
>    logger="core.xslt-processor-Saxon">
>    <parameter name="use-store" value="true"/>
>    <parameter name="incremental-processing" value="false"/>
>    <parameter name="transformer-factory"
>     value="net.sf.saxon.TransformerFactoryImpl"/>
> </component>
>
> global-sitemap.xmap and sitemap.xmap
> ====================================
>
> <map:transformers default="saxon">
>
> <map:transformer logger="sitemap.transformer.xslt" name="saxon"
>    pool-grow="2" pool-max="32" pool-min="8"
>    src="org.apache.cocoon.transformation.TraxTransformer">
>    <use-request-parameters>false</use-request-parameters>
>    <use-session-parameters>false</use-session-parameters>
>    <use-cookie-parameters>false</use-cookie-parameters>
> <transformer-factory>net.sf.saxon.TransformerFactoryImpl</transformer-factory>
> </map:transformer>
>
> saxon has other benefits besides having fewer bugs:
>
> * verbose error messages, aiding xslt debugging
> * xslt 2.0, xpath 2.0, xquery 1.0 support
>
> here is my +1

+1 from me, if we do not need to care about jdk<1.4 compatibility.

Some mailings ago I watched a discussion in cocoon-dev about the same
topic. Here is what Stefano replyed that time to "Saxon as the default
XSLT procesor":

<cite src="Stefano Mazzocchi">
I think Xalan is one example of a community that would die overnight if
the corporate sponsor pulled the plug. It might be said the same about
Saxon since it's a one man show, but knowing Xalan a little, I think
Saxon would be easier as a codebase to patch if Mike Kay decided to
quit (or got hit by a bus). [it's hard to think at something more
complex than Xalan to work on]

What I like about this move is the signal is gives: imagine the press
"Cocoon moves away from its own Xalan and uses Saxon". Xalan has been
languishing and there is no community, the codebase is incredibly
complex (yet not the most performant, which irritates me) and translets
(which were a super-nice idea) are still left behind.

I've done some tests on my machine using the XSLTBench and here is what
I got:

Saxon 6.5.3 -----> 49.52
XalanJ 2.5.2 ----> 19.89

couldn't test XSLTC
</cite>

Seems that saxon also performs better than xalan?? I dunno that XSLT
bench.

    Rolf Kulemann