Posted to user@poi.apache.org by "Ercan, Gazanfer (CIO) (EXT)" <ga...@siemens.com> on 2008/04/10 09:07:49 UTC

Shape doesn't return the textbox entry

Dear all,

I read in the javadoc the following description for the method
EscherTextboxRecord::getData():
"Returns any extra data associated with this record. In practice excel
does not seem to put anything here."
Is it already planned to solve this problem for excel? In our project we
have to read the entry of an textbox (HSSFTextbox). Could you please
give me some hints how to solve this problem? Thanks a lot.

Best regards,

Gazanfer Ercan

Re: Shape doesn't return the textbox entry

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@torchbox.com>.
On Thu, 10 Apr 2008, Ercan, Gazanfer (CIO) (EXT) wrote:
> I read in the javadoc the following description for the method
> EscherTextboxRecord::getData():
> "Returns any extra data associated with this record. In practice excel
> does not seem to put anything here."
> Is it already planned to solve this problem for excel?

The comment appears to imply that excel simply isn't putting the data
there, so there's nothing for poi to fix. You'll want to use tools like
hssf.dev.BiffViewer to track down where you text box strings are actually
stored

Nick