Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Michael W Thelen <mi...@pietdepsi.com> on 2006/08/29 21:46:36 UTC

Call for a new patch manager

Hi everyone.  It's reluctantly and with some sadness I feel I must
resign the position of Subversion patch manager.  I've enjoyed doing the
job, but unfortunately life has gotten so hectic that I am unable to
follow the dev@ list as closely as the patch manager should.  It's not
fair to those whose patches remain unattended.

For more details about the role of patch manager, see Subversion's
HACKING file:  http://subversion.tigris.org/hacking.html

If you're interested in taking over this position, I guess the best
thing to do would be to respond (on-list!) to this message.  Hopefully
the Subversion developers will be able to choose a replacement from
anyone interested.  If you have any questions for me, please email me at
mthelen at gmail dot com (not the From address of this message!).

I have a list of every patch that still needs to be reviewed, including
links to those patches in the mailing list archive.  I will continue
updating that list until a new patch manager is found, so although some
patches may go a while without a response, no patches should fall
through the cracks.  Thanks, everyone, for being such a great
development community for an amazing piece of software.  I'll still be
around, reading the list when I can, and maybe even contributing again
if life settles down.

--
Michael W Thelen
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with

Re: Call for a new patch manager

Posted by Kamesh Jayachandran <ka...@collab.net>.
I would like to volunteer, please provide the current list of unapplied
patches.

With regards
Kamesh Jayachandran

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@google.com>.
Michael W Thelen <mi...@pietdepsi.com> writes:
> Hi everyone.  It's reluctantly and with some sadness I feel I must
> resign the position of Subversion patch manager.  I've enjoyed doing
> the job, but unfortunately life has gotten so hectic that I am unable
> to follow the dev@ list as closely as the patch manager should.  It's
> not fair to those whose patches remain unattended.

Yours will be tough shoes to fill.  Thanks for all the patch slinging!
I'm glad we'll still see you around...

-Karl

Posted by Kamesh Jayachandran <ka...@collab.net>.
Daniel Rall wrote:
> On Fri, 08 Sep 2006, Hyrum K. Wright wrote:
>
>> Based on Michael's description of the process, I think that there is
>> probably too little work to split it up.  I've been following the list
>> (and submitting the very occasional patch) for more than a year and
>> would like to contribute.  I've got a good understanding of the
>> subversion community, as well as the code, but not enough time to do
>> anything major.  Managing patches is a simple task that I can do right now.
>>
>> So, I basically am willing and would like to be the patch manager.  I
>> think it would allow Kamesh to continue to focus on development, as well
>> as give me an easy way to contribute.  Ultimately, I'm happy with
>> whatever is best for the project.
>>

> +1.  It makes sense for Kamesh to continue focusing on development
> with Hyrum willing to take up the Patch Manager duties.

Congrats Hyrum. All the best on your new assignment.

With regards
Kamesh Jayachandran

Re: Call for a new patch manager

Posted by Michael W Thelen <mi...@pietdepsi.com>.
Daniel Rall wrote:
> On Fri, 08 Sep 2006, Hyrum K. Wright wrote:
>> Based on Michael's description of the process, I think that there is
>> probably too little work to split it up.  I've been following the list
>> (and submitting the very occasional patch) for more than a year and
>> would like to contribute.  I've got a good understanding of the
>> subversion community, as well as the code, but not enough time to do
>> anything major.  Managing patches is a simple task that I can do right now.
>>
>> So, I basically am willing and would like to be the patch manager.  I
>> think it would allow Kamesh to continue to focus on development, as well
>> as give me an easy way to contribute.  Ultimately, I'm happy with
>> whatever is best for the project.
>
> +1.  It makes sense for Kamesh to continue focusing on development
> with Hyrum willing to take up the Patch Manager duties.

I've updated hacking.html to reflect Hyrum as the new patch manager in
r21448.  Good luck, I know you'll do a great job!

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@collab.net>.

Posted by "Hyrum K. Wright" <hy...@mail.utexas.edu>.
Karl Fogel wrote:
> Michael W Thelen <mi...@pietdepsi.com> writes:
>> Probably closer to a few minutes a day... when I was reading the mailing
>> list regularly, it was very easy to push patches through the process
>> described above.  Once I started getting distracted by other things, it
>> turned into about an hour of work every three weeks or so, whenever I
>> caught up on reading the list.  Speaking of which, I will catch up again
>> on any patches that have been posted in the past week, and will make the
>> Ruby script and a database dump available online.  I'll post again when
>> it's ready.

Sounds like you've gotten it figured out pretty well.  I've been playing
around with a python script to do the same thing.  It logs into my mail
server, filters for messages with PATCH, and determines if there are any
it would only take a few minutes a day.

>> By the way, I have no problem with either you or Kamesh taking over the
>> position, but I think it's probably not my decision to make.  Any other
>> developers, what do you think?
>
> If Kamesh and Hyrum think they can do it in tandem, so much the
> better.  If they think (or one of them thinks) it's better to keep it
> centralized in one person, then I suggest whoever responded first take
> it.  Unless some other factor can be found: for example, if one of
> them is really busy and is glad for the other to do it, then that
> answers the question.
>
> IOW, best for them to figure it out.  (I'd be happy to flip a coin if
> they want that, but it may not be needed.)

Based on Michael's description of the process, I think that there is
probably too little work to split it up.  I've been following the list
(and submitting the very occasional patch) for more than a year and
would like to contribute.  I've got a good understanding of the
subversion community, as well as the code, but not enough time to do
anything major.  Managing patches is a simple task that I can do right now.

So, I basically am willing and would like to be the patch manager.  I
think it would allow Kamesh to continue to focus on development, as well
as give me an easy way to contribute.  Ultimately, I'm happy with
whatever is best for the project.

-Hyrum

Re: Call for a new patch manager

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@google.com>.

Posted by Michael W Thelen <mi...@pietdepsi.com>.
Michael W Thelen wrote:
> Probably closer to a few minutes a day... when I was reading the mailing
> list regularly, it was very easy to push patches through the process
> described above.  Once I started getting distracted by other things, it
> turned into about an hour of work every three weeks or so, whenever I
> caught up on reading the list.  Speaking of which, I will catch up again
> on any patches that have been posted in the past week, and will make the
> Ruby script and a database dump available online.  I'll post again when
> it's ready.

Okay, I've placed a MySQL dump file and the Ruby script here:

http://pietdepsi.com/svn-patch-manager/

Here's the select statement I usually use when reviewing patches.  I
hope you find these useful.

select id, UPPER(status) as status, DATE(date) as date, \
     DATEDIFF(CURDATE(), date) as age, author, issue, \
     SUBSTRING(subject, 1, 50), notes from patches \
     where status in ('new', 'pinged', 'discuss') order by date;

Posted by Michael W Thelen <mi...@pietdepsi.com>.
Kamesh Jayachandran wrote:
> Michael, can you give me the current mysqldump of patches?
> Are you not using mlpatch.py?

No, I'd never heard of mlpatch.py, but it looks like it might be useful.
   I've posted the location of the mysqldump in a separate message.

Posted by Kamesh Jayachandran <ka...@collab.net>.

Posted by Michael W Thelen <mi...@pietdepsi.com>.

Posted by "Hyrum K. Wright" <hy...@mail.utexas.edu>.
Michael W Thelen wrote:
> Hi everyone.  It's reluctantly and with some sadness I feel I must
> resign the position of Subversion patch manager.  I've enjoyed doing the
> job, but unfortunately life has gotten so hectic that I am unable to
> follow the dev@ list as closely as the patch manager should.  It's not
> fair to those whose patches remain unattended.

Sorry to hear that, Michael.  As a regular lurker on the list, and
infrequent contributor, I've appreciated the fact that you haven't let
stuff get through the cracks.

> For more details about the role of patch manager, see Subversion's
> HACKING file:  http://subversion.tigris.org/hacking.html
>
> If you're interested in taking over this position, I guess the best
> thing to do would be to respond (on-list!) to this message.  Hopefully
> the Subversion developers will be able to choose a replacement from
> anyone interested.  If you have any questions for me, please email me at
> mthelen at gmail dot com (not the From address of this message!).
>
> I have a list of every patch that still needs to be reviewed, including
> links to those patches in the mailing list archive.  I will continue
> updating that list until a new patch manager is found, so although some
> patches may go a while without a response, no patches should fall
> through the cracks.  Thanks, everyone, for being such a great
> development community for an amazing piece of software.  I'll still be
> around, reading the list when I can, and maybe even contributing again
> if life settles down.

A couple of questions before I go volunteering:

What is your typical work flow for managing the volume of patches that
comes through the dev list?  Do you just let the threads pile up in your
inbox (or dev folder, etc.), or do you use some sort of external list?
Any hints, for me or whoever else takes the position, would be great.

How much time (on median) do you typically spend per week in the Patch
Manager Role?  Is it something on the order of a few minutes a day, or
several hours a week?

Thanks,
-Hyrum