Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Manfred Geiler <ma...@gmail.com> on 2006/02/15 13:28:00 UTC

[VOTE] Accept ADF Faces as Candidate for Incubation

MyFaces PMC members,
Please vote for the acceptance of ADF Faces as a candiate for
Incubation. On positive vote (no binding -1 within 72 hours) I will
send a proposal for Podling status to the Incubator PMC.

Attached is a snapshot of the proposal.

Regards,
Manfred Geiler

Proposal for ADF Faces, a MyFaces subproject 6 February 2006, The ADF
Faces Team (contributions by: Adam Winer, awiner at gmail dot com;
john dot r dot fallows at gmail dot com)

(0) rationale

Apache MyFaces strives to provide an environment where open source
developers can create new components and contribute them back to the
community.

The goal of ADF Faces is to provide web application developers with a
rich set of user interface components based on the ?JavaServer Faces
specification.

ADF Faces comes with very high quality components, a dialog framework,
as well as personalization and skinning capabilities. ADF Faces
features include: file upload support, client-side validation, partial
rendering of a page (AJAX-style), data tables, hierarchical tables,
color/date pickers, progress indicators, menu tabs/buttons, wizards,
internationalization and accessibility. A complete list of the ADF
Faces components is available (here.) This project starts with more
than 100 components which have already been documented and thoroughly
tested.

ADF Faces is a temporary name for this project, what it will be called
in the future is yet to be determined by the Apache MyFaces community.
ADF Faces development started in 2001. Initial development took place
outside the Apache Software Foundation, therefore the ADF Faces team
and MyFaces are applying for incubation.

(0.1) criteria

Meritocracy:

The ADF Faces project will be consensus-based using the mailing lists
and completely transparent. Developers will employ Apache conventions,
such as "+1", when coming to decisions and if necessary voting will
establish the final 'will' of the community.

Community:

The MyFaces project and the ?JavaServer Faces standard hold great
promise. A rich set of UI components will significantly accelerate
their adoption. We strongly believe that ADF Faces will gather
significant momentum and enough developers to build a vibrant
community of users and contributors. We look forward to seeing more
components "blossom" as part of the Apache MyFaces project.

Core Developers:

ADF Faces was developed by five Oracle employees including Adam Winer
(active member of the ?JavaServer Faces expert group since day one)
and John Fallows co-author of "Pro JSF and Ajax". Developers have
filed the Contribution License Agreement. Oracle has also filed the
Corporate Contribution License Agreement.

Three PMC members from the MyFaces project are currently planning to
become active ADF Faces developers, others will hopefully follow:

    * Matthias Wessendorf
    * Martin Marinschek
    * Bruno Aranda

Alignment:

ADF Faces aligns perfectly with MyFaces and other ASF projects
utilizing J2EE infrastructure such as Tomcat. Of particular relevance
are projects such as Geronimo, Apache libraries like Jakarta Taglibs
and Apache Maven.

(0.2) warning signs

Orphaned products:

Most of the active developers would like to become ADF Faces
Committers or PMC Members and plan to remain active in the project.

Inexperience with open source:

Most ADF Faces developers have been consuming open source projects
extensively and participating in open source mailing lists. In fact
Adam Winer and John Fallows have been actively involved in the Apache
MyFaces mailing list. Our mentors and the MyFaces team have great
experience with open source development and ASF and already sharing
with the ADF Faces team.

Homogenous developers:

We understand full well that development discussions need to take
place on the public developers list not behind closed doors. Oracle
will strongly encourage developers across the globe to join the ADF
Faces community.

Reliance on salaried developers:

Although ADF Faces was built by Oracle developers, initial interest
from the MyFaces community seems strong. We anticipate several MyFaces
community members to join the ADF Faces effort which will dilute this
project's reliance on Oracle developers overtime. Meanwhile, Oracle
will continue to support the project by dedicating full time
resources, to ensure a smooth transition into Apache.

No ties to other Apache products:

ADF Faces runs on MyFaces.

A fascination with the Apache brand:

ADF Faces developers believe that by joining the ASF, the community
will continue to grow and continue to attract developers.

(1) scope of the subprojects

Although ADF Faces could work well as a TLP, our preference would be
to enter ASF as a MyFaces subproject, but we leave it to the Incubator
PMC and ASF Board to make the final decision.

(2) identify the initial source from which the subproject is to be populated

Source- and binary downloads can be found at:

[WWW] http://people.apache.org/~bdudney/apache-drop.zip

The source-code is provided under the Apache License, Version 2.0

(3) identify the ASF resources to be created

(3.1) mailing list(s)

    * adffaces-dev
    * adffaces-user
    * adffaces-commits
    * adffaces-issues

(3.2) Subversion or CVS repositories

We could either be allowed into the MyFaces sandbox area (with
incubation disclaimers) or we could create CVS/Subversion repository
with one module:

    * apache-adffaces

(3.3) Issue Tracking

ADF Faces would have its own release cycle and its own JIRA project.

    * Project Name: MyFaces-ADFFaces
    * Project Key : ADFFACES

(4) identify the initial set of committers

(4.1) Already ASF committers

(4.2) Scheduled Apache users

(4.3) Not scheduled, Contributors

(4.4) Unknown

(5) identify apache sponsoring individual

    * Champion: Manfred Geiler (MyFaces PMC Chair, Officer)
    * Sponsor: MyFaces PMC
    * Mentor: Craig McClanahan (ASF Member, Struts PMC, Jakarta PMC,
Incubator PMC)

Re: [VOTE] Accept ADF Faces as Candidate for Incubation

Posted by Enrique Medina <e....@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Bruno Aranda <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Thomas Spiegl <th...@gmail.com>.
+1

--
http://www.irian.at

Your JSF powerhouse -
JSF Consulting, Development and
Courses in English and German

Professional Support for Apache MyFaces

Re: [VOTE] Accept ADF Faces as Candidate for Incubation

Posted by Manfred Geiler <ma...@gmail.com>.
And here is my
+1 for Candidate status

Manfred

Posted by Grant Smith <wo...@gmail.com>.
+1

On 2/15/06, Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> +1
>
> On 2/15/06, Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > +1
> >
> > On 2/15/06, Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > +1
> > >
> > > regards,
> > >
> > > Martin

> will

> ADF

> the

> with a
> Faces

> framework,
> partial
> tables,
> wizards,
> more
> thoroughly

> called
> community.
> place
> team

> lists
> conventions,
> will

> more

> Winer
> one)
> the

> relevance
> Taglibs

> project.

> fact
> Apache
> sharing

> Oracle
> ADF

> interest
> MyFaces
> this
> Oracle

> community

> be
> Incubator

> repository

> project.

> PMC,
> > > >

> > > --
> > >
> > > http://www.irian.at
> > >
> > > Your JSF powerhouse -
> > > JSF Consulting, Development and
> > > Courses in English and German

Grant Smith

Re: [VOTE] Accept ADF Faces as Candidate for Incubation

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.
+1