Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org> on 2005/05/17 03:58:34 UTC

adding a pdf sample to the default publication

i played around with the various pipelines in the default publication to
add a pdf view, and have to say it was rather complicated. but at the
same time, i think it would be good to showcase what can be done with
lenya to add a pdf sample.

i can certainly commit my crude example, but what i really would like to
see is thorstens work on forrest plugin integration. any updates there,
thorsten?

wdyt?

Re: adding a pdf sample to the default publication

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 2005-05-18 at 00:39 -0400, Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
>
> > The main question is how can I use the forrest resource without a simple
> > copy n' paste? e.g.
> > <map:transform
> > src="{project:skins-dir}{forrest:skin}/xslt/fo/document2fo.xsl">
> >                   <map:parameter name="imagesdir"
> > value="{project:resources.images}/"/>
> >                   <map:parameter name="xmlbasedir"
> > value="{project:content.xdocs}{1}"/>
> >                 </map:transform>
>
> these are instances of the forrest conf input module:
>
>      <component-instance name="defaults"
> class="org.apache.forrest.conf.ForrestConfModule">
>        <values>
>          <skin>@project.skin@</skin>
>          <menu-scheme>@project.menu-scheme@</menu-scheme>
>          <bugtracking-url>@project.bugtracking-url@</bugtracking-url>
>          <issues-rss-url>@project.issues-rss-url@</issues-rss-url>
>          <i18n>@project.i18n@</i18n>
>          <home>@forrest.home@/</home>
>          <context>@context.home@</context>
>          <skins-dir>@context.home@/skins/</skins-dir>
>          <stylesheets>@context.home@/resources/stylesheets</stylesheets>
>        </values>
>      </component-instance>
>
>      <component-instance name="project"
> class="org.apache.forrest.conf.ForrestConfModule">
>        <values>
>          <skin>@project.skin@</skin>
>          <sitemap>@project.home@/@project.sitemap@</sitemap>
>          <status>@project.home@/@project.status@</status>
>          <skinconf>@project.home@/@project.skinconf@</skinconf>
>          <doc>@project.home@/@project.content-dir@/</doc>
>          <content>@project.home@/@project.raw-content-dir@/</content>
>          <content.xdocs>@project.home@/@project.xdocs-dir@/</content.xdocs>
>
> <translations>@project.home@/@project.translations-dir@</translations>
>
> <resources.stylesheets>@project.home@/@project.stylesheets-dir@/</resources.stylesheets>
>
> <resources.images>@project.home@/@project.images-dir@/</resources.images>
>          <skins-dir>@project.home@/@project.skins-dir@/</skins-dir>
>          <temp-dir>@project.temp-dir@</temp-dir>
>        </values>
>      </component-instance>
>
> you would add that input module to lenya and change the build process to
>   replace the values between @@ at build time. look at the
> @lenya.version@ substitution for an example

Hmm, ok but still would you suggest to copy n'paste the original
stylesheets to lenya or would we state that for this feature (...and all
upcoming features based on forrest) we have a dependency on forrest? I
would vote for *not* c n'p but using the original ones.

That mean the user have to have as well a forrest instance installed
besides cocoon and lenya.

This way I have the change to dig in a more general way of using forrest
ressources in lenya without modifying the original resources to much.

WDYT?
--
thorsten

"Together we stand, divided we fall!"
Hey you (Pink Floyd)

Re: adding a pdf sample to the default publication

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 2005-05-16 at 21:58 -0400, Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:
> i played around with the various pipelines in the default publication to
> add a pdf view, and have to say it was rather complicated. but at the
> same time, i think it would be good to showcase what can be done with
> lenya to add a pdf sample.
>
> i can certainly commit my crude example, but what i really would like to
> see is thorstens work on forrest plugin integration. any updates there,
> thorsten?
>
> wdyt?

I will give it a go on the weekend where I will try to find some time.
Basically I will have to write one pipeline that is bringing the lenya
content into xdocs format, then using the forrest pipe to generate *.fo
from this and then plug (a simple mount of the lenya sitemap) the
http://forrest.apache.org/0.7/docs/plugins/index.html#org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.pdf into lenya.

The main question is how can I use the forrest resource without a simple
copy n' paste? e.g.
<map:transform
src="{project:skins-dir}{forrest:skin}/xslt/fo/document2fo.xsl">
                  <map:parameter name="imagesdir"
value="{project:resources.images}/"/>
                  <map:parameter name="xmlbasedir"
value="{project:content.xdocs}{1}"/>
                </map:transform>

Any good ideas?

salu2

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
Thorsten Scherler wrote:

>>That would mean request parameters, wouldn't it?
>>I'd rather discourage this solution:
>>
>>- no static export possible
>>- PDFs should probably be addressed via the extension .pdf

my solution uses .pdf, but its a ugly hack as i said

Re: adding a pdf sample to the default publication

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 2005-05-19 at 09:26 +0200, Andreas Hartmann wrote:
> Michael Wechner wrote:
> > Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:

> >> 1.2.
> >

> > ok
> >
> >> not sure what you mean with views,
> >

> > cocoon views: <map:views>...
>
> That would mean request parameters, wouldn't it?
> I'd rather discourage this solution:
>
> - no static export possible
> - PDFs should probably be addressed via the extension .pdf

+1

I am the same opinion.

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Michael Wechner wrote:
> Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:
>
>> Michael Wechner wrote:
>>
>>> did you base it on 1.4-dev? Did you use views? Yes, I think it would
>>> be good to have the PDF link
>>

>> 1.2.
>

> ok
>
>> not sure what you mean with views,
>

> cocoon views: <map:views>...

That would mean request parameters, wouldn't it?
I'd rather discourage this solution:

- no static export possible
- PDFs should probably be addressed via the extension .pdf

-- Andreas

Re: adding a pdf sample to the default publication

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:

> Michael Wechner wrote:
>
>> did you base it on 1.4-dev? Did you use views? Yes, I think it would
>> be good to have the PDF link
>

> 1.2.

ok

> not sure what you mean with views,

cocoon views: <map:views>...

Michi

> but if you mean the edit / view distinction, then no (was not flexible
> enough)

Michael Wechner

Re: adding a pdf sample to the default publication

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
Michael Wechner wrote:

> did you base it on 1.4-dev? Did you use views? Yes, I think it would
> be good to have the PDF link

1.2. not sure what you mean with views, but if you mean the edit / view

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:

> i played around with the various pipelines in the default publication
> to add a pdf view, and have to say it was rather complicated. but at
> the same time, i think it would be good to showcase what can be done
> with lenya to add a pdf sample.
>
> i can certainly commit my crude example,

did you base it on 1.4-dev? Did you use views? Yes, I think it would be
good to
have the PDF link

> but what i really would like to see is thorstens work on forrest
> plugin integration. any updates there, thorsten?

can you say again what the forrest plugin was about?

Thanks

Michi

> wdyt?

Michael Wechner